Enabling Cairo-dock!
  • somnambulistsomnambulist
    PMPosts: 24
    Hi  everyone,
    I have been using Cairo-dock in other distros, mainly Gnome2/3 and some are friendlier than others, though this is the first time I have used it outside of the Gnome environment.Sometimes I have had to fiddle a bit to get it working.
    In LXLE I had an initial problem partly solved by Mr. Wisir who kindly, and promptly, responded to my email request. The first problem was with adding Launchers to the panel. I was used to just dragging ICons  to the panel . I was advised to right-click , which I did but wasn't immediately aware this opened a dialog to configure/add each app to a menu.Most other distros I have used ( after right-clicking) open the menu with Icons already in it and then you simply select.

However, I got it figured out and working o.k. (Thanks Mr. Wisir )
    The reason I wanted to do this was because I couldn't get Cairo-dock working properly with Compton, as I had to remove the " black-box" every time I started up. ( The other advice given didn't work,Mr Wisir, but that is probably my fault, I am used to the command-line and terminal, but I know little about scripting. Autostart is new to me and an unknown quantity! )

Nonetheless, after some trial and error I got there in the end. Replacing Compton with Compiz didn't work but I didn't really expect it to so the final solution was to remove both compositing-managers via Synaptic, and enable transparency in the system-settings of Cairo-dock itself.The simple solution was the easiest but I hadn't thought of doing it before as this is the first time  in three years of using Cairo-dock that I have ever needed to.
    I thought I would post this just in case other people were having a similar issue.

ps. I think I am probably not the only one not used to this desktop environment, so bearing that in mind, perhaps someone could post a tutorial on using Autostart  to enable start-up applications? On the other hand , once Cairo-dock is enabled and configured, this ceases to be a problem, as with Cairo-dock, you can just drag and drop Icon-launchers from the Applications-menu in Cairo-dock itself.In the end, I guess it's a question of personal preference.

:-h :-h
    p.p.s. I spoke too soon. I have had to reinstall compton on restart despite fake transparency being enabled in Cairo-dock.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Actually, that is technically the proper way to do it. However what I should have told you and what I normally do is create an Icon with the command I want to run and place it in the /.config/autostart folder/directory. We should have went that route, but I was trying to go by the book.

Sometimes the book is way to tedius and shortcuts are necessary, nice and easy. But I'm glad you figured out how to get it working and will use this post to highlight the solution.

Nice job.
  • faizfaiz
    PMPosts: 37
    I myself tried Cairo Dock and had to remove it completely. The blackbox problem, which was earlier solved my enabling Metacity, which I prefer over Compiz, was too annoying. I dont remember exactly what solutions did I try, but I gave up without much experimentation as this laptop is vital for my work.
    I tried OpenGL and non-openGL both, results were the same. I think, Cairo Dock is enabled by default in other Gnome2 session, is it not?
    Hi faiz,
    in other distros, Cairo-dock is sometimes enabled in Gnome3 ( and some Gnome2 depending on the distro ) by default, that is, when you install and configure Cairo-dock to launch on start-up ( right-click on dock ) you should get a desktop-session added at login like Gnome with Cairo-Dock.Through experience, though I never use that session but select the normal Gnome session  since Cairo-dock has been configured to start-up anyway. I have found that if you use the new desktop session, for some reason it invariably causes problems.
    So, to clarify, currently I am using  LXLE-G2-Paradign  session and Cairo-dock starts up ( without the Black Box ).
    To get this working right has been trial and error.
    The solution is as follows>
    install Cairo-dock via Synaptic Package Manager>select Cairo-dock( no openGL) from menu>Right-click to enable Cairo-dock on start-up.
    Now , the bit that has been confusing,
    right-click to configure Cairo-dock> select " advanced "
    At this point you should see all the options with Icons, etc with little boxes to tick.
    On the side-bar  to left there is a System option,- don't select this , that's where the problem was for me.
    Instead select the System Icon on the main panel and then you will get 4 options with arrows, select compositing and choose transparency. Click the Apply button at bottom.
    Now is the time to download and install Compton via Synaptic Package Manager . After installation is complete > Accessories>Compton> select and that's it.
    Cairo-dock should now start-up without the Black-box and without having to reselect Compton each start-up.

Thanked by 3faiz [Deleted User] jme
  • Another Black-Box problem  in Cairo-dock can occur when starting up the computer.If you switch it on and go make a cup of tea or do something else while you are waiting for the login screen to appear it appears not to like it.
    Login seems to get impatient waiting for you and sometimes when you login the Desktop will not change the wallpaper so you are looking at the Grub-screen ( leaf ) after start-up with cairo-dock enabled but with the Black Box in evidence.
    Solution is either to enter your password ASAP or do a restart and enter your password when the login screen appears.
    Only just noticed this, so in retrospect it may have been responsible for other times I couldn't remove the Black Box.Anyway, " restart " is your friend here.
    If you don't keep your computer waiting for you it shouldn't be a problem. Is this what they mean by " The Ghost In The Machine ? "
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    This does occur sometimes, a restart is not necessary however, simply log out and log back in.
  • Ahha!, So the machine is alive!LOL
    :))
  • Hi, I thought I should update this post since the new LTS came out.
    After installing LXLE12.04.4 I added Cairo-dock and and configured  it with fake transparency.
    >configure>advanced settings>select "system "- Icon" and not the system option on the left hand panel.
    This opens a drop-down menu asking if you want to enable fake-transparency.
    Tick the box and that's it, the black-box will dissapear .
    I updated the post as I have discovered Compton is no longer requred.
    Fake-transparency once selected appears to be enabled on start-up.

BTW, I doubt if anyone really noticed but I have been away for a while due to an unfortunate illness. Back now and just in time for the new OS.No problems with it so far. Running smooth as silk.
    A little update on Cairo-dock.

If you have opengl, select glx-cairo-dock and configure to run on start-up ( right-click )
    No need to activate fake transparency.

One issue, however, with both glx-cairo-dock and cairo-dock if you are extra-cautious regards security and remove zeigeist this will affect the dock.
    You may find, for example on restart that the power-off button, shortcuts and tux/bart simpson/wanda ,etc are no longer available so you will need to access file-manager via accessories and log-out/shutdown via the LXLE panel.

It's a trade-off between aesthetics and security.
    Most people, not running a server , however, should have no reason to remove zeitgeist outside of parranoia.
    Not that, with the NSA  around, parranoia is necessarilly a bad thing!
    Thanked by 1lxle
  • jmejme
    PMPosts: 1
    Thanks Somnambulist, this did the trick for me. They should add this part about not being the 'system' link on the left but to click behavior then system to their wiki. That is a bit confusing. Thanks again. Kali 64 bit, newest ver. as of this comment.
    Somnambulist-"Now , the bit that has been confusing,right-click to configure Cairo-dock> select " advanced "
    At this point you should see all the options with Icons, etc with little boxes to tick.
    On the side-bar  to left there is a System option,- don't select this , that's where the problem was for me.
    Instead select the System Icon on the main panel and then you will get 4 options with arrows, select compositing and choose transparency. Click the Apply button at bottom."
  • PogoPogo
    PMPosts: 9
    On my netbook screen, the button to switch to Advanced view, which is where the System link is, is almost completely obliterated by the black box. Navigating the pages with the black box taking up a large chunk of screen real estate is difficult, and on top of that, Alt-F7 can't be used to move the window. The move link lets you move it up, but once the menu button is off the screen, the page can't be moved down again.

So reading on this forum that it was possible, and having more specific directions than given on the Cairo-dock wiki, encouraged me to keep trying and to solve the problem.

Thanks to Somnambulist in particular, and all who ask and reply.

Pogo.