LXLE updated and now no admin authenication password for installing
  • So how can I get my machine back in my control?
    I set up to automatically start LXLE without password and had the password for admin the same as this machine.
    But since update, I don't have that password anymore.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    passwords don't change with updates, are you trying to get it to ask you for a password at login?
  • You are correct lxle, it does not make sense.
    But, I cannot authenticate, so, let's say I completely forgot my password. What then?
    Do I need to delete the system and reinstall?
  • lxlelxle
    if you completely forgot your password, then follow this guide

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword
  • Thanks to all for looking at this.
    lxle, that did not work; when I go to recovery and drop to root, I am asked for my password or the option of Ctrl-D to continue (which takes me back to 'resume').

I have tried another way that is on askUbuntu but that failed also.

• lxlelxle
    Follow the tutorial carefully

What you might have forgot to do after dropping to root is to make the drive writable; you can do that one of two ways either by entering

mount -o rw,remount /

or before you 'drop to root' select 'networking' i think its the second option down

then drop to root once networking is enabled.
  • OK, I am trying 'networking' and then the 'drop to root'

Thank you.
  • Nope, it still asks for root password for maintenance or press Control-D to continue.
  • lxlelxle
    Not sure what to tell you, its what I've always used to reset passwords on Linux boxes for a decade.
  • lxlelxle
    It shouldn't be asking for a "Root" password since Ubuntu by default does not have a "Root" password, Ubuntu based OS's have a 'Sudo' password, which is a temporary root password (for the most part) unless a root password was intentionally set by the user, which does take some doing. If thats the case then follow the following tutorial

Drop to shell the same way as above to do the following

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-reset-forgotten-root-password/
  • Thanks for all the help.
    Situation under control:  partition deleted, computer turned off and taking to recycle place.
    It's been a great day.