Totem could not display help contents
  • ShadeShade
    PMPosts: 11
       Off topic, but dont see the mark solved option for my previous thread.
      As for my new question, since the Movie Player help wont display, here goes. In the pane on the left of console the 5 most recent video clips are shown. Is it possible to access/save more-multiple clips from web ? If so how to ?
    Thanks for help and replys !!!
  • Not sure why your previous post didn't show you a 'Mark as Solved' option so I did it for you...it's always an option allowed in the original post, not the replies...
  • ShadeShade
    PMPosts: 11
      Like to try the steps in the 2nd link,but I'm confused on how to carry this out.
  • ZakaZaka
    PMPosts: 202
    Shade, I'm confused on your goal.

Do you want to have more than 5 files of previously watched videos displayed? (How many would be too many??)

Do you want to que files for viewing?

If you build a 'playlist' ~ you can view files by selecting /View/Sidebar and then select 'Playlist' (or one of the other options).  You can add items to the 'Playlist' with the controls at the bottom of the display.

Perhaps I have misunderstood ~ the instructions for creating the 'append' are fairly clear but do require the use of the terminal.  You can copy/paste the instructions directly from the link, so no worries on typos ~ but it probably isn't necessary if you just save your playlist and add to it as you go along.

If I'm still missing the point, please, have another try at explaining what you wish to accomplish ~ I can be dense at times, so I appreciate your patience!

• ZakaZaka
    After re-reading:

>> Is it possible to access/save more-multiple clips from web ? If so how to ?<<

Easiest way is to either download the video (via the web browser) and save to your Video directory for viewing.  You can also use the 'Save a Copy' command in the Movie menu in Totem. 

Perhaps my technique will serve as an example:

I view all television these days through either my Roku device or a computer.  I download episodes from tv series and save them in their own sub-folder in the Video main folder.  (Downloading saves 'online' fees as one can download a whole season in less time than it takes to watch one episode.)

I open Totem, and when not resuming from a previous session, I select /Movie/Open and go to the program folder and select one or more video files to watch.  The files(s) will be displayed in the Playlist (if sidebar is displayed) and I can save it if I choose ~ but as I seldom re-watch anything and the files are easily accessed in the folder, I seldom save a playlist.

I hope this helps, Shade.
    Thanked by 2lxle Shade
  • Tried saving to playlist. When I clik playlist there does not appear to be anything there. Where (what file) would they be? So used to windows. New controls and things are confusing.
    Thanks for help!!!
  • ZakaZaka
    Totem will default to save the playlist in the Video directory ~ regardless, you can rename the  '.pls' (playlist extension) filename to something you'll be able to identify and ALSO specify the directory(folder) and/or create a new folder for it.

After you save the playlist, you will be able to click on the file to open it ~ using either Totem's Open command or clicking on the file in a File manager.

Yes, the Windows routines are pretty much hardwired into our psyche ~ but with a bit of practice, things become a bit more familiar.

File Management is basically the same as you're used to ~ just a few different tools to work with.  If there's something that the file manager is not doing for you feel free to try another.  For instance, I do not like the one that comes with LXLE (pcmanfm) and prefer to use Nautilus.

It's easy to install and try any of them using Synaptic.

http://xmodulo.com/2013/10/good-file-manager-linux.html

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10-things/10-linux-file-managers-worth-checking-out/

I will do some spelunking for you and see if there's a brief but concise Introduction for Noobies for you ~ that might go a long way for you to getting to feel comfy and visual re-enforces the text based solutions.

Thanked by 1Shade