Adding an app to the panel
  • jeffneedlejeffneedle
    PMPosts: 17
    Hi.  I use an app called Bible Desktop.  It downloads and then starts with a shell script, hence there is no entry in the listing of programs.  I'd like to set things up so that I can add a link to the shell script to the panel.  Can someone help me with this?  Thanks.

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Right click on the desktop and create a blank file, you need to create a shortcut

Open the file and fill it with the following

[Desktop Entry]

Encoding=UTF-8

Name= README

Comment= My README file

Exec=PUT THE DIRECT PATCH TO THE .SH FILE HERE

Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/readme.xpm

MimeType=text/plain

Terminal=false

Type=Application

MimeType=text/plain

Categories=Utility

When your done setting up the icon, move it to /usr/share/applications

You should then be able to right click on the panel and add it.
  • This brings to mind what is to me, the most enraging feature of linux and one of the main reasons it's never going to be ready for general desktop usage by the public. Your instructions are impossible to follow unless I drop to terminal and use the sudo command to quite literally type the instructions to do something it takes maybe 5 seconds to do in Windows. I'm quite capable of doing this, but I'm a reasonably proficient user, the average computer user user will experience a permissions failure trying it exactly once and want to return to Windows......
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Those instructions are only necessary if the program you want to add to the panel does not show up in the start menu. Any program that shows up in the start menu can be easily added to the panel just pointing and clicking.

Even the instructions above can be completed without the terminal. Simply by creating and opening a text file, copying and pasting the highlighted text, save the file. Navigate to /usr/share/applications with your file manager (pcmanfm) click the tools menu and select open folder as root. Enter your password and either drag and drop your created text file in the folder or copy and paste it in there if you wish.
  • well either way, I did it in a terminal with the sudo command and using the tools open as root method (Which admittedly I did not know about) and both methods failed to make my Imprudence viewer shortcut (which works) accessible to be added in the panel preferences or via editing the application launch bar setting where I added my other frequently used programs.
    I love this distro as I stated in my other post here, but my experience with linux, dating all the way back to Red Hat 6........ is sometimes it just decides to be utterly user unfriendly........I  found that frustrating then and still do.........
    Edit: I also just tried the menu editor found under system tools...... it too failed to yield any results.........so on my otherwise clean desktop, I have to leave this one shortcut that refuse to co-operate......  This is probably one of the finest distro's I've ever used.......but there's always some one thing like this that just doesn't work.......
    Edit Part Deux ; I finally made it work...... I did so by copying the shortcut I had made for the desktop into .local/share/applications ......... I'm glad I fixed it.....but it can be really frustrating....... Fortunately at this point the machine is set up how I want it.