Kernel upgrade How too
  • boruncoborunco
    PMPosts: 229
    Hi all, for those of you that like to upgrade your kernel. Here I will share some links on how to do it.
    Of course I would recommend that you would back up your system in case something goes wrong, although the links show you how to reverse the upgrade, it is always a good habit to backup backup backup.
    I have LXLE installed in three different partitions in my Ace Aspire One N270 Netbook, and have three different Kernels. My first I keep as default with the 3.2.0.58, the second 3.5.0.x and the third 3.12.1. there is also the latest 3.12.2 but I haven't tested it yet. I can tell you that the 3.12.1 is a LTS kernel and is stable it has a lot of fixes and new drivers for newer computers. Anyways here are the Links hope this helps.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Upgrade.

that first Link is the official wiki of the Ubuntu kernel upgrade, very good .

This second one is a private site, but it gives you .deb download links to be able to install the latest if it's not in synaptic.

http://easytricksportal.blogspot.com/2013/11/how-to-install-upgrade-kernel-3121.html#.Urr7fKGp2Bs.

Please note that the kernel that comes with LXLE as default is the best compatible kernel for the way LXLE is formatted, so in no way am I saying that you have to upgrade. But for those that have a newer or new box, the 3.12.1 kernel is more updated for the hardware.
    Please also note that the best way is to upgrade your kernel through synaptic package manager, search Linux-image, and you will be able to see the latest kernel available and the one that you have installed. If you pick Linux-kernel-image generic it should select the other packages you will need.
    Example: linux-image-generic 3.11.0.15.14.

Hope you enjoy.
     Never stop learning.
    borunco
    :-B
    NEVER STOP LEARNING
    Acer Aspire One N270 130Gig ssd 2Gig ram
    LXLE 32bit
    Thanked by 2lxle aussielunix
  • aussielunixaussielunix
    PMPosts: 1

Introduction

I have a Lenovo x230 thinkpad and just made the move from Lubuntu to lxle last weekend.
    After a year of stable use the X230 was all of a sudden very fragile. It would hard freeze without any clues (none I could find) as to the cause. No logging, no dmesg, nothing in a netconsole even.

The Fix

I decided it might be a kernel bug however it didn't make sense as Lubuntu was fine (same kernel) but I upgraded anyways.

Turns out there is a huge myriad of kernels available via an apt-get on LXLE.
    Check for yourselves:

sudo apt-cache search linux-image

Just an apt-get install away and I was in luck.

$ sudo apt-get install linux-headers-3.8.0-35 linux-headers-3.8.0-35-generic linux-image-3.8.0-35-generic linux-tools-3.8.0-35

Purely optional but I also added a delay to grub so I have a chance of selecting a different kernel.
    I only changed these 3 lines

$ sudo vim /etc/default/grub

#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
    #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=10

$ sudo update-grub

Conclusion

X230 has been running for 14 hours now without an issue. If it still hasn't crashed after using it all day today I'll declare it fixed and update this post.

Cheers
    Mick

• boruncoborunco
    PMPosts: 229
    Nice post @aussielunix.
    :)>-
    NEVER STOP LEARNING
    Acer Aspire One N270 130Gig ssd 2Gig ram
    LXLE 32bit
    Thanked by 1[Deleted User]