The future of LXLE
  • In the past few months I have been distro "shopping", not hopping. I have used Mint XFCE for a few years and before that I was using Mint Mate for a few years. I began looking for something different than what I have been using because of the ridiculous amount of system resources required to do nothing more than present the desktop. With so much required to do that, the even more ridiculous amount of resources used for Firefox, LibreOffice, Gimp, and a few others have been causing my Lenovo laptops to bog down. I have 4 such laptops and each one is 4 or 5 years old. I run 8 GB of RAM on each one and I've begun to have to reboot them daily to free up the memory trapped by the DE and the apps.

Which brings me to LXLE. I have run it Live from a DVD and I really like what I see. I'm sure it's even faster and more stable once installed on a hard drive. One additional quality the distro I decide to install on all four of my laptops needs to show me is that it is a well supported distro with a long future in front of it. I have read, and been told directly, that LXLE is on life support and headed for extinction. That makes me extremely leery of selecting LXLE as the distro of choice for all my computers.

I lost track of days, but it took around a week just to get my account on here approved. I had actually written off ever receiving the account approval and written off LXLE as well. So, my questions are very simple. What is the status of LXLE and what does the future hold? Can we expect more rapid development and can we expect to run LXLE for a few years to come?

I'm looking forward to seeing something in black and white to either confirm the death of a pretty nifty OS or to learn of great things to come with regards to the future of LXLE.

Thanks in advance.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    I've been watching others predicting the 'death' of LXLE for a few years now and yet it's still here. From what I gather about downloads and mentions around the internet it's still loved. However I do not make it my life. It's been a well received hobby. I put out another version ever couple years. During that time the updates that become available are the same ones that occur with any Ubuntu based distro.

You're putting it on relatively old machines. The OS will more than likely outlive them.
    Thanked by 2CWM030 egorive
  • sagsawsagsaw
    PMPosts: 20
    When do we expect LXLE 22.04?

Great to know LXLE is still around.

Still a very useful os especially for old pc/laptops
    Thanked by 1lxle