Install LXLE on an Apple iMac (2011)
  • trinitytrinity
    PMPosts: 20
    Well, after a normal install, the iMac would boot to a GRUB bash prompt.  rEFIND did not work -I tried that next (installing it from a LIVE LXLE session).  Grub boot-repair did not work.  I probably should have saved those errors/logs.

I followed this tutorial for manually fixing grub:  https://itsfoss.com/fix-minimal-bash-line-editing-supported-grub-error-linux/
    When I was trying the following command:  
    sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot --bootloader-id=ubuntu --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/mnt/boot/efi

I got an error. It turns out, I guess, that it was looking for the x86_64-efi goodness in the
    (I don't remember exactly where it was ...uh usr/lib/grub I think) in the LXLE live session folders.
    So, I opened the mounted sda1 (root) directory & copied the x86_64-efi folder. I then opened the
    LXLE live session usr/lib/grub folder. Open it as root. Copy x86_64-efi into there.  The above command then worked.
    It worked overall.  I Forrest Gumped my way into glory.

• RozeveRozeve
    PMPosts: 1
    Surprisingly, it's not only iMac's problem. It also occures on my HP pc and I'm a little bit confused because after following your solution terminal returned information about missing kernel.img file.