Claws Mail 3.17
  • I'm currently tinkering w/ live LXLE focal (w/ fsck fix) on an 8G ram system & radeon gfx. I only use a mail agent for usenet, and I have used Claws satisfactorily before; scoot by (avoid) the mail requirement first, then setup the nntp.  Problem: the column headers for the thread pane (conventional layout nomenclature; folder pane, thread pane, msg pane) cannot be properly organized into such as subject, from, date.  

I thought I might compile a 3.19 but I ran into a problem and my compile problem resolving skills are limited. I booted a live Ub 22.04 MATE which repo/s hold Claws 4.0, which works properly.  I also attempted to install a different claws using flatpak added to LXLE focal, but that didn't work out either.

I've tried removing and replacing the same claws v. no joy; rebooting the LXLE, no joy.

If any helpers want to advise me, you can have your choice of helping resolve the acquisition of the flatpak Claws 4 or the compile of the Claws 3.19 w/ live LXLE focal.  I'm not very interested in working on the default 3.17 anymore, w/ the possible exception of using Clawsker on it.
  • Unbelievable.

After resolving a LOT of missing pieces using the /. configure discrepancies and searching online and adding packages, I successfully compiled and installed Claws 4.1.0.  Upon running, I found that the thread pane column name abnormality/ discrepancy still remained.  It was/is only possible to have columns for Subject and Size, unable to make From or Date appear in the configuration.

Oh well.  Thunderbird works.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    If you go to the view menu and layout you can pick what style you want... three pane column is not the only one available.
  • No matter what layout one chooses, the thread pane and its proper headings is essential.  A misconfigured thread pane headings is unworkable.  All I want is subject From and Date.  I guess I should post a screenshot somewhere to get my message across.
  • I've found a solution which works.  At first I was going to explore whether the same problem exists on Lubuntu upped to 20.04, but the last Lub w/ LXDE was 18.04 and that was too far.  I also tho't there was a Sparky (based on Deb) that was LXDE, but it was also pretty old.  Then I found another angle, Sylpheed.  It is also low resource, like claws.  It is just a little trickier than claws to setup for nntp instead of mail, but it can be done.  Sylpheed 3.7.0 is in the LXLE repo/s and does NOT have the thread pane header problem.
  • Another solution which I tho't would work, but doesn't; I added flatpak to LXLE and installed Claws 4.1.0 as a flatpak.  Just like the 4.1.0 which I compiled, the 4.1.0 Claws also suffers from the thread pane column header misconfiguration.  It is not possible to put From or Date into the columns.  It will take subject, size, and some others, but not the essential From and Date.  No good.

Sylpheed has format=flowed; I don't think it can perform 'rewrap' (or reformat) like Tb. Claws can also f=f, but for me it isn't usable if it can't handle the columns (via the headers) properly.
  • lxlelxle
    I use claws and I have subject from and date. Did you try right clicking on the categories and selecting what you want shown?
  • I'm glad to hear that the problem isn't universal.  I've done all kinds of things to try to remedy it, such as complete removal and reinstallation.  Rebooting.  It is very consistent for me.  I can make all kinds of changes to the columns, but I can't do anything to put From or Date there.  If the 'column chooser and arranger' function chooses subject, from , and date in any arrangement, I only get subject.  I can add size and various others.
  • I also tried on different hardware.  Same problem.  I can put From and Date in the configuration window in any order, but neither of those two result in actually being a column; that is, if the configuration is supposed to be Subject From Date, any order, only subject shows.
  • Mike_EasterMike_Easter
    PMPosts: 19
    Paul in alt.os.linux provided the remedy for this.

> Did you try View:Layout, flip to some other view, then flip back to "Standard".On LXLE, that brought the From and Date columns back. Trying to change the column headings did not help. But View:Layout seemed to re-initialize it.

Link to Howard Knight's usenet archive: http://al.howardknight.net/?ID=165452757400

I'm glad that project is over.
  • lxlelxle
    wow such a strange error and fix. I've had problem like that when I've done all kinds of extensive ways to fix something and the fix turns out to be super easy...