Bad Reviews Because No One Reads
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    I should have known better. I thought the text file on the desktop titled 'Must-Read' would be enough but apparently not. Few are reading it and trying to install the OS while connected to the internet. I even put the caveat in the release notes. No one reads those either. Yet another distrowatch bad review because of users not reading. I even placed the file above the installer icon but to no avail. It's ignored. Sigh... oh well. Some will read some won't I guess.
  • dodceldodcel
    PMPosts: 11
    I read the reminder in the desktop in the mode Live LXLE Focal.
    Installed without internet and the installation ended without any problem.
    Thanked by 1lxle
  • I read the text file on the desktop also while in the live mode before installing.  I disconnectied my internet before I did the install and I had no issues what so ever with it.
  • As the comedian stated : " you can not fix stupid"
    Don Chriscoe
    10240 Roan Rd
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Thanked by 1Crash_Pitt
  • KobaltKobalt
    PMPosts: 1
    I just installed LXLE recently. I read about the text file prior to installing and kept the info in mind. To be honest, I could have missed the text file on the desktop, too. Then I saw it, remembered reading here about it and everyting went smooth.

I mean, sure, you could expect someone setting up a new OS to read everything carefully, but it still is a trap. - I don't remember if I had to start the installer manually or if it starts automatically in live mode, BUT if it starts automatically, the distraction can be large.

Could the text file be started automatically on system start up for the live mode? Could be a solution.

Have a nice day
    Kobalt
  • pcfan5pcfan5
    PMPosts: 4
    I am one of those, read it before installing though, had to install again :D
  • Can you just place it in big red text at the first page of the install dialog? :)
    Or maybe break the internet during installation?

I didn't run into the issue, but I'm also working as dev and expierienced: EVERYTHING that can be handled falsely, will be^^ (by someone)
    8 hours of debugging can save you from 30 minutes of reading documentation :D
    Testing LXLE 18.04.3 (64-Bit) on DELL-XPS-M1530
    "Needless to say, LXLE is a speedy, low resource using beast of an OS."
  • Just found this. Well, LXLE did all so we can install without problems, and even I succeeded, because it is not so very hard to read the files^^. Cheerio and for those who do not read (I thought that was more of a problem for Windows users^^) - well they have to install it again.
    If we can comment when some bad review is published, it might be a good idea that we get informed "side XYZ with bad review" so we could find it and simply explain that it wasn't the fault of LXLE but of the one sitting before the PC or laptop :)
  • Pentium Core Duo PC works like a clock with LXLE
    Smooth, fast and handy