Distrowatch Hater? Your thoughts?
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Shortly after the LXLE Focal release someone left a review at distrowatch declaring the OS is essentially unusable and nothing works. Programs don't open.. freezing randomly, etc etc... but they made sure to mention another distro they like..  has anyone experienced these problems or is this some kind of fanboy advertisement for another distro by falsifying problems of a similar one?

• mhbellmhbell
    PMPosts: 23
    They either did not know what they were doing or else it is a fanboy trying to advertise another Distro. I've used LXLE since its inseption and never had a problem using it on dozens of old and new machines. It's been stable for me. So far this version and older versions have worked on my AMD Ryzen Asus MB and SSD. No problems here.
  • lxlelxle
    My thoughts exactly. Hopefully some other more honest reviews find their way onto Distrowatch... Good to hear the old versions along with the new is working fine for you.
  • Mike_EasterMike_Easter
    PMPosts: 19
    When I checked, there were 57 reviews at DW, averaging 8.5/10, but only one low review of 2 for the current release.  The vast majority of ratings of all of the LXLE releases were 9 or 10; the average being reduced by those few which were less than 5.  The one low review for the current v.  user is using ArchCraft, which I've never used but I read a review from last year at DW.  It is just an Arch + OB + Yay low resource.  I wouldn't fret about the one low report, I think most people who read collections of reviews look at the overall collection, including earlier releases.
    Thanked by 1lxle
  • lxlelxle
    Good point... I just read it and thought... that's a ridiculous review that seems blatantly untrue... you'd have to really hose the install somehow for that to be even remotely possible. Which could happen I suppose but the real 'tell' for me that the review was deliberate was that from what he read he's not the only one have those problems. That's the BS line that really ticked me off.
  • mdiemermdiemer
    PMPosts: 36
    I've always been ambivalent about distro watch. It gives a misleading impression at best of what is actually going on in the Linux world. I have always suspected that certain distros artificially jack up the number of hits to their home page. I have no real evidence however to support that; it's just a feeling. But we know that many people are dishonest, so it would be surprising if this were not going on.

The only problems I have had with LXLE were caused by my computer's graphics. With improved open-sourced drivers, this is no longer a problem and I can again run this all-around great distro.
    Thanked by 1lxle