Whats even considered 'old' anymore?
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    I'm struggling with what is considered 'old' anymore? What type of machines specs would be 'average candidates' for LXLE 64 bit nowadays?  
  • mhbellmhbell
    PMPosts: 23
    I have 3 computers and all of them can run LXLE My main computer is AMD 64 16 GB ram integrated graphics  6 ea ssd's 7 years old. 2nd computer is 13 years old AMD 64 8 GB ram integrated graphics 1 ssd. 3rd computer is a HP laptop 8 GB ram intel processor 10 years old. it is the one that really needs and uses LXLE Most newer computers use GPT partitioning and UEFI many use integrated graphics. I think it would be benificial for LXLE to consider supporting some of the newer stuff. Most distros are dropping 32 bit distros and going to 64 only. Just my 02 cents worth.
    Mel

• lxlelxle
    wow... thats a lot of ram for such 'old' computers.. I guess what I'm computing on is a relic at this point. I'm trying to gauge whether some of the lightweight programs I've included in the past such as seamonkey and abiword can be replaced or should be kept. It seems every 'modern' browser uses an obscene amount of ram.
  • mhbellmhbell
    PMPosts: 23
    I don't Use sea monkey or abiword. I use Firefox, Thunderbird, Google Chrome, and Libre office. BTW I build my own computers except for the laptop. I need the ram for some of the other desktops that I use in other distros. LXLE ran just fine for a long time on my laptop with just 4 GB ram. I find most newer computers run at least 4 GB of ram and most use 8 GB ram.
    Mel
  • From "old" I have a PC, 4gb ddr2 ram / core duo e8600 3.33ghz. There is another PC, many consider it old but I think it is average, 16gb ddr3 ram / core i7-4790 3.6-4.0ghz quad core

It seems to me that you should look for "lowest" specs not old computers.
    Let me propose, you could make a post asking for lowest specs that people have at home and evaluate the lowest spec from among lxle users, taking the number of users at that level into consideration. And when you have such information you would certainly know if all users can run this or that program assuming that they run some other program already (it would be frustrating to close all other apps in order to run browser for example).
  • lxlelxle
    The tough thing about replacing seamonkey isn't just replacing a browser. It's replacing a browser, email, rss reader, newsgroup reader, irc, address book and calendar. Also replacing abiword with libreoffice as libreoffice has ballooned to nearly 500 megs and gimp has also grown significantly.
  • MuhibbijAbadMuhibbijAbad
    PMPosts: 32
    Maybe you could write a script that replaces light apps with weighty apps and present it to user in introduction window.
    Or if it's possible make two versions, light and normal
  • lxlelxle
    OK, I've decided what to do. Some heavier necessary apps for the 64bit and if I can manage to update the 32bit to 20.04 then the lighter apps will stay with that version.
  • Great. Believe it or not, I was going to ask if you will release 32bit lxle 20.04. Glad that it you are planning.
    I've got a very old HP PC of my relative today with Pentium 4 (single core), currently with 2gb ddr2. And he asked if it is possible to do something with it. I said ok, but after opening the case I've stuck, it is too old.
    I hope that lxle 20.04 will make it live two to three years more.
    Many thanks.
    Cheers
  • By the way, since the topic is about 'old' computers.
    I did fiddling with this pc, tried to increase ram up to 4gb 800MHz which i had already, but this metal started screaming on wake. It came to be that it does not support 800MHz ddr2 but only up to 667MHz and I had only 2gb with that speed. so... now I understand a bit more of your hard work on making light distribution.
    Take care
  • lxlelxle
    you might be able to solve that with a bios update if there is one