Gone So Long Didn't Realize The Sorry State Of Linux
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    With Snap and Flatpak packages being pushed on people Linux will soon be the very opposite of what once made it great. Those two different but similar ways of distributing software are going to absolutely wreck Linux. They're resource pigs. Using tons of ram, processing power and hard drive space. The packages are slow, cumbersome and Canonical/Ubuntu has even decided that Snap should be proprietary and have created a vendor lock in scenario.

It looks like an attempt to kill deb package management, fold all distributions into the same mold and winding up with a pseudo opensource version of windows or mac os. It's an abomination to everything Linux. It's sad and infuriating.
  • trinitytrinity
    PMPosts: 20
    I am not sophisticated enough to understand the specific ramifications of a more universal package solution (apart from obvious minor bloat).

I do use (and love) AppImage releases for a few things -it makes sense to me for having portable apps with dependencies included for some items....I use mkvtoolnixgui & Balena's Etcher as AppImages.  I imagine that developers can appreciate a facility by which their app can run on any system.

I would not worry about the Linux world all adopting such.  Their are too many opinions and too many distros.  Just look at what systemd did.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    It's not minor bloat. It's a ton of bloat along with multiple dependencies having to be loaded all independently for each 'container' app putting more stress on available resources instead of the system sharing libraries that might already be loaded via other apps or system dependencies. If they continue down this path you'll wind up with essentially a docker OS where every app is a container.