Sound stopped after update this morning
  • shelly_dshelly_d
    PMPosts: 24
    Hi all:

This morning when I booted up I got the pop up that sometimes appears that x number of packages have updates available (This is on 7/8/21). As I usally do I ran the update. IT apparently included a kernel update because it warned me I was trying to delete a kernel version currently in use. I chose to interrupt the routine that was trying to remove it (stop the removal). After the removal I rebooted and I have now discovered that my sound (pulse audio) no longer works. (BTW you should know I have also installed Pulse Audio Preferences). I have tried experimenting around in the configuration tab of the Volume Control panel with no luck. In the hope that the log would help, here it is:

I: [pulseaudio] main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_NICE, (31, 31)) failed: Operation not permitted
    I: [pulseaudio] main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_RTPRIO, (9, 9)) failed: Operation not permitted
    D: [pulseaudio] core-rtclock.c: Timer slack is set to 50 us.
    D: [pulseaudio] core-util.c: RealtimeKit worked.
    I: [pulseaudio] core-util.c: Successfully gained nice level -11.
    I: [pulseaudio] main.c: This is PulseAudio 11.1
    D: [pulseaudio] main.c: Compilation host: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
    D: [pulseaudio] main.c: Compilation CFLAGS: -g -O2 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/pulseaudio-qw71qm/pulseaudio-11.1=. -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall -W -Wextra -pipe -Wno-long-long -Wno-overlength-strings -Wunsafe-loop-optimizations -Wundef -Wformat=2 -Wlogical-op -Wsign-compare -Wformat-security -Wmissing-include-dirs -Wformat-nonliteral -Wpointer-arith -Winit-self -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wfloat-equal -Wmissing-prototypes -Wredundant-decls -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-noreturn -Wshadow -Wendif-labels -Wcast-align -Wstrict-aliasing -Wwrite-strings -Wno-unused-parameter -ffast-math -fno-common -fdiagnostics-show-option -fdiagnostics-color=auto
    D: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running on host: Linux x86_64 5.4.0-77-generic #86~18.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jun 18 01:23:22 UTC 2021
    D: [pulseaudio] main.c: Found 12 CPUs.
    I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Page size is 4096 bytes
    D: [pulseaudio] main.c: Compiled with Valgrind support: no
    D: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running in valgrind mode: no
    D: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running in VM: no
    D: [pulseaudio] main.c: Optimized build: yes
    D: [pulseaudio] main.c: FASTPATH defined, only fast path asserts disabled.
    I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Machine ID is 4d66c903d49d49278e026f3f8a6b19d6.
    I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Session ID is c1.
    I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Using runtime directory /run/user/1000/pulse.
    I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Using state directory /home/shelly/.config/pulse.
    I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Using modules directory /usr/lib/pulse-11.1/modules.
    I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running in system mode: no
    E: [pulseaudio] pid.c: Daemon already running.
    E: [pulseaudio] main.c: pa_pid_file_create() failed.

Is there anything here that can help anyone guide me through fixing the issue?

Thank you all. 
  • shelly_dshelly_d
    PMPosts: 24
    I've worked around this issue. I have geen putting off installing a new NVME drive I received as a gift because - lazy I guess. I installed the drive and reinstalled new instead of cloned and migrated. To anyone reading this I will share the unexpected issue boot loader issue I ran into. I installed from a "live" DVD and received an unable to install Boot Loader error. The soulton was to the selet Other actions when asked what you want to do, then manually create 2 partitions, a 1 Gig at the very start of the drive, formatted Ext4, mount point /boot and the second the rest of the drive, formatted Ext4,  mounted at / (root) and then let the installation proceed. When I got the failure again I installed Boot-Repair in the live system I was running (simply sudo apt-get installe boot-repair in a terminal) then used that to force the install. I cannot find the website that I found the exact procedure (sorry) but what it had you do was to select Advanced options, click on the Grub Location tab, sue the pull down menu on that tab to select the 1 Gig partition you created  at the front of the drive and then tell the program to proceed (Ok, Start? I don't remember now.)

Thanks

Shelly_D