LXLE unable to install to HDD
  • JayrdeeJayrdee
    PMPosts: 1
    I have been a Windows user since 1986. Windows 7 is my last OS.  So consequently I have no more support with Windows and I'm looking to get comfortable with a Linux distro. I'm using an old laptop to understand Lenox before I move to updating my daily computers to a Linux system . I figure I can screw up this laptop first :-) :-) :-) . I have a Compaq Evo 410c laptop. The hardware is a P3 1200 MHz 1MB RAM with a 30 GB HDD. The HDD has been wiped clean. So I'm not trying to load it alongside a Windows XP OS.
    I am installing from a CD ROM because my BIOS does not support loading from a USB port. I have two issues
    #1 I have tried to load the OS a couple different ways and neither are successful. The first was to install the OS directly from the CD-ROM using the install option from the initial menu. Everything seems to install like it should but when I come to the end there is no data on the HDD. The second way I've tried to install is loading the OS using the live option on the initial menu and then trying to load the OS from the icon on the main page. That didn't work. Then I tried to load the OS through the settings menu. And that didn't work either.
    #2 the second issue is the inability to Launch the web browser Sea-Monkey so I can get to the internet. I have a Linksys PCMIA  card for wireless wi-fi and it works great and I have no troubles with the OS linking up to my wi-fi system.
    I'm at a loss here so a little help would be great. Thank you
  • Mr_LinuxMr_Linux
    PMPosts: 72
    P3 1200 Mhz is an old 32 bit processor, so be certain you have downloaded the 32 bit version of Linux from the download page.  That does not appear to be an issue since you have obviously booted the Live CD.  I believe your issue stems from low RAM, you stated 1 MB and I hope you meant 1 GB. Today 1 GB is the bare minimum installation for almost any OS. 

With the browser issue, this could be the old Pentium 3 CPU.  I wouldn't recommend running  Chrome as that will lag real bad (assuming it even allows the install) most browsers today tend to hog the CPU cycles.  It seems even so-called lite browsers will demand attention.

There are 2 ways, I can see this going end;

1. Install an older distribution to this laptop.  You will at least get some practiced on how to install Linux.  The P3 came out in 1999 and was discontinued in 2007.   I will recommend this download of 10.04 the number is the release date, April 2010.

It is the first link on this page under Desktop PC intel x86 CD.

That will download an ISO of 694 MB for CD.  It will have the option to try it before install.  It will not require UEFI or other modern boot options.  I personally used 10.04 as my first dual boot XP / Linux back then.  I later moved to Kubuntu 12.04 and 14.04 and dropped Windows altogether.

2. Throw caution to the wind and install to your PC.  Since I don't know the hardware on your current PC, I cannot advise you on how to proceed.