• Dear developers,

thank you very much for LXLE 18.04 that brought my old Amilo 32-bit (2005) to new life! Really great work!

But there is one thing that makes me wonder and that I consider inappropriate. I'm trying to avoid saying really disgusting. And that is the wallpaper "Arbeit macht frei". Everyone in the world should know about the torture and pain brought into the world by German Nazis from about 90 years ago on.
    I'm writing that as a German myself, knowing well that there is still so much to do to achieve a widespread historical consciousness to be able to learn from the past. We need to talk about it, we need to listen about it from witnesses still alive today, we need to read, to watch, to keep the discussion going on. We need to educate people who live now and future generations!

You can't change the past, but you can work for the future. And that is the right context for this photo: a history book, lessons at school and at the university. That photo makes one think. What does that sentence mean? Who said that? Is it true? Why does it express contempt?

Persons induced to think about this photo in that way should have others around to ask their questions and to conceive its meaning.

That is my personal opinion and I would be glad if you changed the wallpaper photo by another.

Best regards
    Saxosus
  • Mr_LinuxMr_Linux
    PMPosts: 72
    I believe those are all just random samples from wallpaperswide.com, if you find the wallpaper offensive delete it. If you find the photograph offensive, address the original photographer.  If you find the history offensive, remember it. 

I am an US American and we seem to be going through an era of statues, books, and art being demolished because they offend people.  These are historical landmarks that need to be remembered by all of those generations that follow us. 

I can't speak for the person(s) who compiled LXLE or arranged the wallpapers.  To me, it was only another abstract photograph, until you posted.  The people who fought and died in World War II are long since gone, most people born at the end of the war are 75 or older.  None of us took part in their war, but we must remember why it existed and why they died. I am not offended by a statue of General Robert E. Lee, it isn't like I owned slaves, or shot anyone in the American Civil War. Why should anyone feel shame for history that preceded their birth?  We should just remember it, so we don't repeat it.