LXLE 16.04.1 boot seems to fail - actually video problem
  • GrubbyGrubby
    PMPosts: 7
    I found no mention of this on the forum, so I am posting this.

I had a reliable LXLE  16.04.1  running on an HP DC8000.
    I have a dual boot with MINT.

One day, for no apparent reason, LXLE would not boot, a "NO Video Connection" warning would appear on my monitor and it would go to sleep.

The MINT OS was still functioning, so I did not debug the LXLE problem until Today.

~~~~ It is a well know problem, easily fixed ~~~~
    Apparently the updated kernel is now smart enough to install the correct drivers, and any GRUB set up of drivers interferes with it.

My system has a convenient grub menu that appears which allows me to select the OS I want to boot.
    It is editable, and the instructions for doing so appear below the menu.

Try this temporary fix :
    In the grub menu select LXLE, but instead of using ENTER to boot, type `e` to edit, and then use arrow keys to navigate to the end of the "linux" line - the lines wrap, so be sure you are at the end. Add "nomodeset" to the end, or some say after "quiet splash" , if it is there.

I did that, and pressing F10 exits the edit and begins the boot process. My  computer started and the video was working.

If that solves your problem, permanently make the change
        $ sudo nano /etc/default/grub.d
        $ sudo update-grub

Which put me back in business.  Find more details about this online

Incidentally, I was able to do and update to 16.04.7 and the computer boots LXLE with no problem or need to re-do the fix.

Grubby

Linux - Because I Can
  • Hello Grubby, to expand on the "reason" behind this, recently kernels have the video mode settings inside the kernel. The programming of the hardware specific clock
    rates and registers on the video card can happen within the kernel rather than
    in the X driver when the X server starts.

There are pros and cons to this development.  I have a Nvidia GeForce GT 710 2GB and every single time Nvidia updates their software, I get notified of a software update. The issue is, they don't just download a driver, they recompile my kernel.  I preferred it the other way, with the X driver on the outside.

They claim this is a good idea, but I can see negative issues such as older machines with old monitors, not handling the HD displays well.  I am a bit of a stick in the mud, but I like the old Xorg days when I could tweak my config files.  I suppose there might be other ways to work around the built in kernel video drivers.

Recently I replaced my 8 year old LCD Emerson TV monitor with a cheap LED monitor I found at the store.  All the programs had fits with this new monitor, and all because the driver detected more "better" HD resolutions available.  I am content with 1366x768, I don't need to squint at tiny fonts in 1080p with a 22" monitor. 

I am glad you posted this issue, I just wanted to shed some light on where the problem starts.  I don't upgrade that often, but when I do I go out for coffee because the kernel needs to compile and it is not a fast task.
    Thanked by 1Grubby
This discussion has been closed.
All Threads