Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: libmpv1 When installling Stremio
  • Hi, I have just installed LXLE and I'm trying to install Stremio. I've downloaded the .deb file from the Stremio Website, but when I try to install it, I get the error:

This package is uninstallable
      Dependency is not satisfiable: libmpv1 (>= 0.30.0)

I've tried using in the command line:

sudo gdebi stremio_4.4.132-1_amd64.deb

But I get the same error.

Can anyone please help me?
  • https://askubuntu.com/questions/1295479/cannot-install-stremio-in-ubuntu-20-10

This solved the problem. But I have no idea why. Could some one explain to me, why I was having this problem and why this solution worked?

Overall I like using LINUX, but I have no idea what I'm doing. Normally when I have a problem, I just Google it and run some stuff blindly. Is there a easy way to learn how to use Linux?
  • Mr_LinuxMr_Linux
    PMPosts: 72
    I have tried to avoid .deb files like the plague.  If possible always attempt to get a distribution PPA (Personal Package Archive) and install using sudo apt install (package).
    History
    What are .deb files? They are meant to be used with Debian Linux but can be used with Unbuntu Linux. Debian Project, was established by Ian Murdock and his wife Deb on August 16, 1993. Debian is one of the oldest distros based on the Linux kernel.  Ubuntu would be a grand child of Debian.  Can you guess where Deb and Ian came up with the name for it?

Another issue installing via .deb packages, is finding version equality.  You are running LXLE Ubuntu 18.04 code named Bionic Beaver.  While Deb and Ian loved Toy Story and use code names like; Squeeze 2011, Wheezy 2013, Jessie 2015,  Stretch 2017, and Buster 2019. Anything called Sid is unstable and may have issues.

If you MUST use a .deb file, try to find Stretch as it is 1 year older than 18.04. 

As for how the fix worked;

Lines #1 and #2 are network requests to download 2 .deb files using wget.
    Line #3 installs the needed library, using dpkg (package manager for Debian).
    Apparently this is the built in movie player you can read here. https://packages.debian.org/stretch/libmpv1
    Line #4 installs the file without PPA using apt and the local file for the application.

If you are ever curious about an application you are suggested to run from terminal, most will have a manual installed. The manuals are accessible from the terminal window using man before the program name, such as;

man dpkg
    man wget

Then you can browse the manual and when done press Q to quit.
    Enjoy your movies!

Thanked by 1cironis