Prevent auto update of the kernal
  • I am currently running 18.04 with kernal 5.4.0-66-generic. I just read a posting from Linus Torvolds that kennal 5.12-rc1 does not handle swapping correctly and any distro (like Ubuntu derivatives) with swap files rather then swap partitions can be very seriously damaged as a result. Until that is corrected, I would like to prevent automatic kernel updates (as I just recently went through). I realize that many good things can be missed by not updating the kernel but that that kind of danger looming out there on the distant horizon, and my level of inexperience, I just want to protect myself. Are there any ideas?

Thank you in advance. 

Shelly_d
  • ... LXLE why does it show me the html but will not allow me to edit? ...
  • They  fixed this it now releases 5.12-rc2 and if you are reading the
    blogs as I do, many of them just "sound scary" to make for good click
    bait.  I swear someone needs to make a meme of "Oh no! Baby Jessica fell
    down the well again!".  I don't think you need to worry about it, but I
    never keep people in the dark when it comes to knowledge both good and
    evil.
    sudo apt-mark hold linux-image-generic linux-headers-generic

When you feel it is time to upgrade again,

sudo apt-mark unhold linux-image-generic linux-headers-generic

Bloggers... they smell blood in the internet stream and there is a feeding frenzy!
  • Thanks.

Great to know both how to keep the kernal stable and that they have fixed the issue.

Thank you. 
  • No problem, I understand your concerns.  From what I read it was
    replaced very quickly on the 6th of this month.  This is one reason I am
    stick in the mud.  I don't care to be on the front lines of any
    "experimental" releases.  The "RC" in 5.12-rc## means Release
    Candidate.  The people who grabbed this was just a little too quick. 
    The scary thing about this is how close this got to being marked as
    stable.

There are some Linux users who think they need to be up to date 100% of the time.  As you may know Linux 10.04 means, it was released April of 2010, I started in that version and didn't upgrade until 12.04 was about 1 year old.  I jumped to 14.04 then felt like I was moving way too fast, so I skipped 16.04 and ended up in 18.04.  Next stop 22.04 in about 2 more year for me.

Some kids always wanted to be the engineer on the train, I wanted to relax in the caboose.