LXpanels versus Tint2
  • Yes, I can't help myself. I have been tweaking about with panels.  There are pros and cons to all software and I was looking into Tint2.
    Pros
    Tint2 is a lot smaller in size and memory usage than LXpanel. 
    LXpanel uses 40.5 MB resident memory and 1.2 GB in virtual memory. Tint2 uses 19.8 MB resident memory and 218.2 MB in virtual memory.  That is not a lot of memory but addition panels will increase  the usage.
    Tint2 has a detailed but simple configuration program with preview. LXpanel needs to reset to see the changes and has no preview within the configuration.
    Cons
    Tint2 has no launch menu, but with Openbox right clicking on the screen allows menu access.
    Tint2 apparently doesn't allow duplicate items on some options; such as I haven't been able to place 2 launchers or 2 clocks on the same panel. Tint2 has fewer item categories but allows for customized buttons and executions.

At the end of my weekend, I came to this conclusion... why not use both?
    Going to settings, Default Applications for LXSessions, I changed the autostart options to +add @tint2.  To add more than one panel for tint2 you need to express a new tint2rc file. Such as;  tint2 -c /home/(user name)/.config/tint2/left.tint2rc another good feature, clicking on anything named with the extension .tint2rc opens in the configuration editor.

Now I have the better of both worlds, tint2 on my left bar and a bottom bar using LXpanel.  Next weekend I plan to play with xfce4-panel ... yes, the one with the mouse logo.

• I was busy elsewhere last weekend and didn't have time to mess with xfce4.

Xfce4 panels are very unique in the fact they can be placed anywhere on the screen and not just top, bottom, left, and right. Once installed, you can test drive these panels using the command xfce4-panel from the terminal.

Pros
    Low memory usage Xfce4-panel uses 34.1 MB resident memory and 633.4 MB in virtual memory.
    Easy to use configuration application. (see image below)
    Handles on each end of an unlocked panel allows you to drag these panels anywhere on the screen.
    Launch Menu Button

Cons
    LXpanel has more widgets available than what is offered by Xfce4. Launcher, Logout Buttons, Menu, Clock, Directory, Notification, Separator, Show Desktop, Workspace Switcher, Window Menu, and Window Buttons.  The last two are just variations of the task bar.
    For some reason logout is available but Shutdown and Restart are greyed out and not available to use.

Either Pro or Con
    Just depends on your taste, the launcher only displays one icon and you have a tiny arrow off to the side that is used to display the whole list of icons.

More information available here.

• Unless you love the format, I would not bother with Xfce-panels.  They have some good perks but the features than fail for me are the odd single icon launcher, limited widgets, and the apparently broken shutdown and restart options.  I found you can resize it to be several rows  giving a square panel as well.  I just don't see this as a good fit for me.

I have to go to Chicago this week on business, I will keep my eyes open for other light weight tools to add to LXLE.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    I've messed with using different panels and in the end it's never worth it between configuration, layout or functions.