Why LXLE should stick with LXDE instead of switching to LXQt
  • By now, most or all of us already know the story: LXDE is lighter, but no longer maintained. LXQt is heavier but gets regular buxfixes and enhancements. However, there's one angle that I was unaware of until today, and which I feel compelled to share: the B00merang Project. They've successfully transplanted Microsoft's Classic, Luna, Aero, and Metro themes to Linux. These themes look better than anything that ships with any Linux distro I've seen (well, the first three anyway... Metro is ugly as hell), but more importantly, they also make Linux "feel" less intimidating and unfamiliar for n00bs who are still trying to wean themselves off of the Microsoft teat. The catch is that the B00merang Project has ONLY made these themes for GTK-based desktop environments, not for Qt-based ones.

• Mr_LinuxMr_Linux
    PMPosts: 72
    Hello Katie,

LXQt is the desktop environment and not much different from LXDE or LXLE. The premise of LXLE is not to push fast forward, which is fine by me. The reason I downloaded this version of Lubuntu, I am a minimalist and I have a very zen way about computing.  I was reading this blog by John Ramsden, where he was very disappointed by KDE Plasma desktop.  His blog just outlines how he switch to OpenBox Desktop over his KDE.  I decided to poke around the internet to see, if anyone took the bloat out of Linux, and found LXLE.  LXLE uses PCManFM, OpenBox, and LXPanels.  These are all light weight for people running older machines.  Limited bells and whistles makes a lot of difference when you are running 2 GB of RAM in a world demanding 8 GB minimum.

While I am running new machines, I blow off Windows 10 and format it with LXLE in most cases.  I do have a few clients who are using Mint and others running Gnome Ubuntu.  Most of the people I know, want a PC to be fast and dependable on web browsing.  Not many high end gamers with Linux yet, but there is hope it will happen.  I have a few Windows 7 and 10 based clients as well, but they are gamers that will not be easily swayed to Linux.

Meanwhile my nephew and I salvage many PCs and components from the curbside. Refurbished machines get a new home for free with our senior citizens and disabled. These programs keep the computers out of your oceans and the dolphins from learning how to hack the internet. My nephew has been driving me up the wall this year with his Raspberry Pi 4 GB micro PCs.  But I am happy he has found something he likes. There are many distributions of Linux available, just because it no longer needs to be serviced, doesn't make it bad thing. I know people who are still happy using XP SP3 on their old 32 bit PC.
    Thanked by 1Beamer
  • I don't see what any of that has to do with the GTK toolkit or the Boomerang themes.
  • BeamerBeamer
    PMPosts: 62
    I'm not sure why a person would not simply tweak the version they install to achieve the results as you suggest.  That's the beauty of Linux.  Whatever comes out of whatever box can be tweaked to one's heart's content.  And very easily, too, with tremendous net wide documentation, forums, videos, and support groups around each app.  
    And the band plays on!
    Grab the learning curve, and hang on for the ride!
    Its going to be a doozy!
    LXLE user since 2013.