Future Releases
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    What I'm planning to do as far as future releases has been something I've been considering for some time. It became apparently relatively quick that keeping up with each point release of an LTS version was not only time consuming but in some regards pointless... no pun intended.

Not only does older hardware receive better support from slightly older kernels, which by the way continue to get security updates regardless of their version, but doing an update for every point release also leads to change just for change sake. In other words sometimes stuff gets dropped or added just for there to be something different.

I think it's a better approach for a Linux operating system focused on being lightweight for older hardware is better suited when it offers a version at or near the final point release of the LTS cycle. In other words releases LXLE at 18.04.5 or in the next versions case 20.04.4 or .5.

This way the LTS version has had plenty of time to work out it's bugs. Support for various devices and hardware has become available and updates after downloading aren't so enormous. I can also work on perfecting the desktop that works perfectly with the last available point release of the LTS and not have to worry about themes or other stuff breaking with the next point release.

Let me know your thought on this method..
  • I think that is a very logical approach.  If the point (or at least the strong suit) of your distro is to breath new life into older hardware, then what works for that hardware, works for that hardware. 

The only thing you might have to take into account is how, for instance, the Web will require browser upgrades.  An additional consideration is simply improving hardware (driver support).  A longer revision cycle gives you more time to include and perfect hardware support for older boards and devices.
  • Well, I'm not that deep into the distributions release plans. I'm a friend of what works and has prooven, functionality over fancyness. So if 20.04.4/5 will be more stable as .1,.2 or .3, why not use them as source for your respin?
    Testing LXLE 18.04.3 (64-Bit) on DELL-XPS-M1530
    "Needless to say, LXLE is a speedy, low resource using beast of an OS."
  • No point in making changes just for change sake.  I'm never bored with something that works fine.  If something could make it better for better's sake... then that makes sense. I've been a happy camper with LXLE since its first release.
    LXLE user since 2013.
  • RademesRademes
    PMPosts: 7
    In my opinion, the OS should be as stable as possible and without any important bugs. So, your decision to make release based on latest Ubuntu LTS is the right decision. People, who want Latest and Greatest will use one of the rolling release cycle distros, such as Manjaro.
    From LXLE we need speed an stability first, and anything else second. I really do not like the developers, which jump for something new, just because it is new. Just like Ubuntu switched from Gnome 2 to Unity. Or Lubuntu switched from LXDE to LXQt.
  • KlempererKlemperer
    PMPosts: 20
    i just can applaud to what the others already said. As a user of very old hardware I am simply happy with the way LXLE goes, and use it since years now. I had started with Lubuntu, but the versions since their move would not even work - or only very sloppy - on my machine.
    It is often hilarious to see friends or pals buying very new machines - and all they do with them they cannot do any faster than we can with LXLE.  And quite often their new machines, mac or Win, are not as stable as my one is.
  • I'm looking forward to the next release(s). I have really disliked the new LXQt/Lubuntu releases, and Lubuntu especially reminded me why I have loved LXLE so much.

The new LXQt systems have lost a lot of modularity it seems. There was a bug in the last Lubuntu LTS release where mouse speeds could not be modified, and fixing it requires that LXQt be entirely recompiled. The Calamares installer is also breaking /etc/sudoers, as well as not supporting ZFS whilst the stock Ubuntu installer currently does. I am very frustrated with LXQt/Lubuntu at the moment.
  • This is probably old news, but I'm really happy to find that LXDE is still being developed independent of LXQt. I'm super eager to try out the new LXDE releases (which I didn't know were happening).
  • It always pays to read carefully what developers write.
    Of course LXLE 18.04 is supported for 2 more years (April 2023) ... even through 2028 via extended support subscription which is FREE for personal use.
    But I now realize that with 20.04. still in version "20.04.2" just released last month on Feb. 9, 2021, the developer has the leisure of 2 more releases at least to polish this excellent distro. I am recommending it to an ex Linux Mint user.
    I'm a distro dilettante (8 maintained plus 25 updated monthly) and a JWM fan who always customizes the distros I install ... EXCEPT LXLE. Except for cpu, RAM (I don't use SWAP) and disk usage percentages, there's nothing missing:
     I've spent hours setting up the igur_chubin (I got the idea from the Voyager Linux respin.) weather app for different cities and countries in other apps, but here it's perfect as is.
    Even the wall papers are great as is!!
    Now I'll make a donation.
    Thanks for all your efforts.
    Quad Core: Intel Core i5-3350P Kernel: 5.2.14 64 bits Mobo: ASUSTeK: P8B75-V; NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 210] driver: nvidia v: 340.108 @ 1920x1080~75Hz; 3 WD HDs: 1TB, 320GB, 160GB
    25 distros bootable but LXLE and Voyager are the only Ubuntus I keep up to date.
  • MuhibbijMuhibbij
    PMPosts: 1
    Hi, how are you?
    I found out a command ubuntu-support-status. There I see that 70% of packages are supported by Canonical until 2023.
    And on Lubuntu forum they recommend to switch to 20.04 release as 18.04 will not receive security updates.
    So who is write? Are those 70% include all security packages and it is safe for ordinary users and even developers to use 18.04?
    Thanks for great distro man!
  • BeamerBeamer
    PMPosts: 62
    Hello again,
    Back for more.
    Looks like you're sticking with 18.04.03 for a while longer.
    Gotta update from 16.04 because new things won't work on less than 18.04.03.

Some problems solved by using other boxes with 20.04 installed. Is LXLE going to create a 20?
    LXLE user since 2013.