New Motherboard - no boot media found
  • I am running LXLE 18.04.5. I just tried to upgrade my Motherboard and Processor. The BIOS in the new motherboard kept reporting No Boot Media Found. Never even got to the grub boot menu. 

Old motherboard and equipment:

Board: ASUS A88X-PRO
    CPU: AMD A6-6400K APU (2 core, 2 threads)
    Bios: American Megatrends INC, Ver 0801

New Motherboard and equipment:

Board: ASUS B550M-PLUS
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT (6 core, 12 threads)
    Bios: TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS BIOS

I can see having issues on which device to boot from on a change like this, but to  not find the boot media puzzles me. I want to avoid reinstalling the operating system to make this upgrade. My search on the internet yielded help for migrating to a new machine but nothing on how to get a new BIOS to read the boot sections of my existing disk. Any clues on what is going on would be appreciated. 

Thank you. 
  • No boot media found, would be more to do with the hardware as the OS hasn't loaded yet.  I will assume you have tried a few of my suggestions below, but take a look;

After looking at the BIOS menu and boot menus, if your HDD is not showing up, you need to look at the hardware.
    Attempt to boot Live USB drive, if working, look for the existing HDD.
    Dead SATA socket on board? Try moving to another socket. https://youtu.be/oOvD7kGg4Kw?t=212
    Bad SATA connector?
    Bad or poor power supplied to HDD?

What I am reading above you are attempting to swap motherboards without updating or reinstall, which should be just fine.  I seldom have incompatibility issues just swapping out motherboards.  The grub will look at the HDD and see the same old UUIDs as before, none of it will matter to grub or the OS that it is running on a better board.  
  • You are right about what I am trying to do. New motherboard, cpu and memory in existing case, P/S and drives.

I have not yet tried a live boot - that is next on my list to try this weekend. I tried to do the upgrade on Veteran's day (off from work) but when it did not boot and the things I tried didn't work, I had to retreat to be ready for work the next day. The SATA config section of the BIOS did show up each of the drives I plugged in when I looked there so I suspect the SATA ports are working. I did try moving different drives to different ports to no avail. I did not try a different power lead to the HDD but once I went back to the old board everything booted up fine, so I am operating under the assumption that the power to the HDD is fine. In searching after posting this I did find this link that may be of help:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
    I will be trying this today. I will be running FSCK against my boot dist before trying the swap again, once I get the USB boot drive configured.

Thank you for your support. 
  • shelly_dshelly_d
    PMPosts: 24
    This took a lot of playing around in various settings in the BIOS and moving my SATA connections around quite a bit before the BIOS finally recognized the boot sections of my drive. It is fially working.

Thanks for your support.