Laptop starts sleeping every few seconds soon after booting starts.
  • I have an old (2006) Compaq Pressario M2000 laptop. The processor is Intel Celeron M (1.4 GHz), RAM 1GB, 80 GB HDD, Graphics card Intel 82852/855GM, Ethernet controller Realtek RTL-8100,8101L,8139, Network controller Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG.
    I had LXLE 16.04 dual boot with Windows XP Home SP3. I was using the laptop without any problem till a few weeks back.
    One fine day on starting I noticed that the screen has gone black with the Power button light blinking. On pressing the space bar the screen again came to life but soon again it went black as before. This continued even after booting was completed. I have tried the following in an attempt to solve the problem:
    1. I rebooted the laptop several times without any change in behavior.
    2. I booted in Windows XP. It was running without any problem.
    3. I reinstalled LXLE 16.04 from bootable USB. No improvement.
    4. I installed LXLE 12.04 from an old commercial CD (from osdisk.com). It ran without any problem.
    5. I again tried LXLE 16.04 but without any improvement.
    6. I then tried Xubuntu 18.04 and LXLE 18.04 but the behavior did not change.
    7. I reinstalled LXLE 16.04 and disabled 'sleep'.
    8. The 'sleep' problem stopped but the internet (both ethernet and wifi) behavior became erratic. When I tried to connect the following error message was displayed: Connection Activation Failed. Not authorised to control networking.
    9. I also had problem in 'Shutdown' and 'Reboot' with the following error messages appearing:
         i) GDBus:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error:No reply:Message recipient disconnected from message bus without replying.
        ii) GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop. DBus.Error.Interactive Authorisation Required:Interactive Authorisation Required.
       iii) Authorisation is required for powering off the system.
    10. As a last resort I wiped the complete HDD using DBAN (3 pass) and reinstalled LXLE 16.04 as the only OS. There is no change in the behavior. I have checked my downloaded ISO for MD5 checksum. It was found correct.
    My laptop is now unusable. Please suggest a solution.
    By the way, I am not a very technical person but can follow instructions. I will be thankful if clear instructions are given.
    Thanks.
  • I bet this is due to some updated module that lost support for your hardware.
    But I'm not linux enough to give clear tips how to debug this :)

What's the difference between the working 16.04 state you described frist and the fresh install under 3.? Did you let it update?
    Testing LXLE 18.04.3 (64-Bit) on DELL-XPS-M1530
    "Needless to say, LXLE is a speedy, low resource using beast of an OS."
  • Thanks Rhino-Cracker. I am sorry for the late response. My internet was down for a few days. I was updating the working 16.04 regularly but I am not sure exactly which updates were installed just before the problem started. I have not updated the fresh install. Therefore I think that if the problem is due to an updated module, as you suspect, then the fresh install should work till there is an update. This is just a thought. I am no expert.