VLC - Fails to Exit
  • Mr_LinuxMr_Linux
    PMPosts: 72
    This is  basically an issue mostly with the VLC (Video Lan Client) 3.0.11 Vetinari downloaded through Snap.
    When I terminate the player, the program remains resident in VM memory to roughly 1 GB.  I cannot recommend the download of VLC with Snap as long as they host this version.  I plan to try the VLC 4.0 but this is the dev package.  There is nothing wrong with the Parole player, as the default media player. I just use some of the "extra features" of VLC.  However I sure don't need it swallowing 1 GB of memory on a 4 GB machine.

• lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    hmm... not sure.. personally I dislike snap, flatpak and the rest... I think they're the worst thing to ever happen to linux..... bloat, high memory use and essentially makes different versions of linux an obsolete concept.
  • Mr_LinuxMr_Linux
    I agree with you there.  I like using my old "sudo apt install ..." above everything else.  I know you made this to be a light weight distro, but you never know what any user will do after it is in their hands.  I removed the VLC for now.

I originally started with Kubuntu after leaving Windows.  After they introduce Plasma 5 with more "bells and whistles" I no longer cared for the K desktop environment. I was using the Kubuntu while I experimented on the side with Openbox.  I was surfing various Openbox distros and found LXLE.  This is very well done. 
  • Mr_LinuxMr_Linux
    Side Topic: Snap eating HDD space.
    I did more research on the snap application. While it avoids messy dependency errors, it really chews up drive space.  I did an install of a small game.
    Using; snap install hedgewars 
    This also installed a core18 and a KDE frame work. Total 2 GB.

Using; apt install hedgewars
    Need to get 158 MB of archives.
    After this operation, 202 MB of additional disk space will be used.

Hmmm.... 2 GB for a tiny 202 MB game? lol
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    perhaps one of these vlc ppa's can help..

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ppas?name_filter=vlc