Warning: LXLE 'WinAte' theme blows up your entire OS.
  • First, I am no Linux Master, but have been fooling around with Unix and then Linux for decades.  My understanding of themes is that they are strictly cosmetic.  IE:  nothing under the hood, so to speak, changes.  That has been the case, in my limited experience with Linux themes so far...until now.

I had settled on LXLE for my big Dell laptop a month or so ago and had it pretty much tweaked up and set like it worked best for me.  I suppose in a moment of boredom, I downloaded a Windows 7 style theme praised on MakeTechEasier, called WinAte.

Which sent my installation straight to hell.  Battery monitor is gone, weather is gone, upper panel is gone, lower panel items are gone.  Frantically tried to uninstall, with the supplied uninstall script to be greeted by a screen full of errors.

It just being a simple theme, I had not even backed up this one.  I had used Bodhibuilder on another machine, but was not quite ready to cast this one in concrete yet.  Boom, I will have to wipe the drive and start over.  Machine also has Win 7 and Mint Cinn 19 on it as a triple boot.  Hope I can save them.  Just thoroughly disgusted.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
  • Thanks.  I have kept pretty detailed notes, and have LXLE on a couple other machines also, so I just wiped it and started over from scratch.

I keep a document in 'Documents' which I just call LXLE Notes, with anything which requires a lot of typing (read: chance for typos) in terminal, such as some of these PPAs, just in case.

That, along with detailed notes of what I do as I fine tune an installation, is really quicker than using Bodhibuilder for me.