Wine 5.0 on LXLE 18.04
  • I am trying to install Wine 5.0 on LXLE 18.04. The Wine website says that we also need faudio to make everything work. I just cannot get that set of libraries to install. I get unsatisfied dependencies. Nor can I find or make sense of any downloadable binaries. There seems to be source code available  for the libraries (at least that is what I think those are) but I have never built a package from source code and wouldn't know where to start. If someone has done this please point me in the right direction on what faudio package I need and where to get it.

Thanks ever so much.

Marshall. 
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Use synaptic package manager
  • Thank you for that reply. I will try it to see if it can help be make sense of the faudio dependencies.  Seeing as how the installed repositories and apt in my installation can't sort them out and cannot install them, I'm not sure how synaptic, a GUI front end to those resources will clear up the issue, but I will try.

Thank you for the response. 

Marshall. 
  • OK. Synaptic actually complicates the issue. Some of the dependencies I am trying to solve is where the apt installer will install a version of the package that is earlier then needed. The command line tools I was using clearly give you the version, Synaptic does not, so it hides that issue from me. 

I did find a repository that had many of the packages and added it. It is:

http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/

When trying to update the repository database of packages I receive and error of no public key for that site:

W: GPG error: http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sid InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 04EE7237B7D453EC NO_PUBKEY 648ACFD622F3D138
    E: The repository 'http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sid InRelease' is not signed.
    N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.

Can someone point me to easily understood instructions on how to properly get and install those 2 keys?

Thank you. 

Marshall
  • lxlelxle
    just search for winehq in synaptic and install it from there... there is rarely a need to install anything from source
  • Just looked at that and compared it to the results from looking at the results of the winehq recommended commands:

sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stabl

which returns a dependency on wine-stable 

Doing the same command on wine-stable returns dependency on:

wine-stable : Depends: wine-stable-i386 (= 5.0.0~buster)
                           Depends: wine-stable-amd64 (= 5.0.0~buster) 

synaptic only shows up the i386 (32 bit package) but not the amd64 (64 bit package).

This makes sense. Since synaptic is only a GUI front end for apt, and my version of apt cannot get a clean install from the command line, the GUI cannot get that clean install. 

Please understand, I am not trying to argue with you, I really do appreciate your attempt to help, it is just addressing one symptom of the issue, filtering out some of the packages I would not need. The larger issue I have is the inability to download and install some of the required dependencies because all the repositories I need are not correctly installed. Synaptic, as clean and intuitive as it is, is not the tool that can address that. 

Thank you very much for attempts to help. They are greatly appreciated and the introduction you gave me to Synaptic will be, without doubt, a great help to me in the future, it just does not solve all the issues I am having right now. 

Thank you.

Marshall. 

• lxlelxle
    I'd open up synaptic... do a search for name only and type in 'wine'...
  • Working in synaptic, marking wine-stable for installation gives me only 2 dependencies, libapi20-3 and aci-icd-libopencl1.  Selecting mark produces a red mark next to wine-stable, the comments in the status line of 1 broken, 3 tin install/upgrade and if I right click on the wine-stable line and choose properties it gives the status as broken.

The version it is trying to choose is 5.0.0-buster

My research and attempts to install have so far led me to conclude that the repositories that install with the latest version of LXLE do not have the newest versions of the packages that wine 5.0.0 needs, indeed the software seems to want the package libc6 version 2.8 and the version 2.7 is installed, and will not upgrade with sudo apt upgrade, nor with sudo apt full-upgrade. (There is no way I am going to try to manually remove that package and install one downloaded from an online repository.)

So, how do I install the latest version of wine on the latest version of lxle? I even tried to install an earlier version and it did not install. 
  • lxlelxle
    My guess is you added a repository when you were attempting to install wine 5.0 so now when you go to install wine from synaptic in complains of unresolved dependencies.

https://tecadmin.net/install-wine-on-ubuntu/
  • That is very possible. I found this website that helped me after resolving a repository conflict that synaptic warned me about:

https://computingforgeeks.com/how-to-install-wine-on-ubuntu-linux-mint-desktop/

Once that conflict was resolved the program installed from the command line. Looking in synaptic the packages were no longer broken.

Thank you for your help. 

Marshall. 
  • Mr_LinuxMr_Linux
    PMPosts: 72
    The method I used to install WINE is very unique.  I need to run 4.0 because my graphics card is old (about 8 to 10 years old) and I found 5.0 is a bit "too much" for it.

If I were to install the Wine HQ ppa, it would insist on using 5.0 and that just will not work.

After installation of LXLE, I ran; 
    $ sudo apt install wine-stable

This installed WINE 3.0.  I then went to the Play on Linux binaries... here.
    I chose the upstream-linux-amd64 and searched for the tarball I wanted ending in gz.  
    After I extracted the files you will have folders; bin, include, lib, lib64, share.  I simply placed these into another wine-stable folder and set my PATH environment variable to look there first.  This way if anything is missing, it has 3.0 to fall back on.

Seems to function well enough and should I ever upgrade my old GPU, I only need to download the version of WINE it needs and install it to my custom folder.