Cannot open any files from File Manager - New install of 18.04.3
  • I just installed LXLE 18.04.3 yesterday.  Everything seems good, except that I cannot open any files using the file manager program, either from the HD, or from a USB stick.  I tried the same USB stick on another computer with LXLE 16.04.4 and it works perfectly, so it's not the USB stick or the files.  Is this a bug with 18.04.3?  FYI, the files will open on the new install from the appropriate programs, (i.e. Abiword and Gnumeric), I just can't launch the files out of File Manager.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    update everything first then report back
    Thanked by 1Westport
  • I did update everything, as requested, and have done a little more experimenting.  The problem is not quite what I thought it was at first.

In File Manager: I have found that I can indeed open any file, however, it can only be done by right-clicking on the desired file and then selecting "open".  It cannot be opened by double-clicking.

In Application Programs:  At first, I thought that these were working OK, but now I discover that to open an existing file, I must highlight the desired file, and then click on the "Open" button.  Again, double-clicking does not open the file.

I have double checked this against my LXLE 16.04.4 machine, and I find that all files can be opened by double-clicking on them, whether in File manager or in the specific application.  

So, at least to me, it seems that my install of 18.04.3 has an issue with opening files by double-clicking.

Thanks.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2315040

Might be a clue

open 'keyboard and pointer' in your control menu/hardware and make adjustments
    Thanked by 1Westport
  • WestportWestport
    PMPosts: 37
    I researched it on Google.  It is a bug in Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS.  I wonder if they will bother to fix it.  One Ubuntu user I read said that he fixed it by changing the mouse/touch pad double-click delay timing. (Similar to the solution suggested above), however, there doesn't seem to be any obvious way to do that in LXLE.  Since there is a (less convenient) work-around, a solution isn't mandatory, but it's a shame.  That feature worked perfectly in 16.04.4, but now it's broken.
  • The situation seems to have healed itself.  Maybe it was corrected in an update.  Who knows.  I'm marking it solved.
This discussion has been closed.
All Threads