Live Version Default Password FOUND!! (And how to change/disable!)
  • rivfunrivfun
    PMPosts: 2
    Several LXLE users have asked how to log back into a Live Version if they log out. Well, the answer is....the default USERNAME is "qwerty" (ignore the "Other" name choice), and the password is left blank! This has been verified on LXLE 18.04.3 x64 as of Jan. 12, 2020.

The technical explanation: LXLE's Ubuntu/Debian base defaults to a Live Session User named "qwerty", and the "unknown password is required to login. Going into Menu-->Control Menu-->Security-->Users and Groups---Users showed me the name "Live Session User" with "qwerty" as the username. Okay,now what? Well.....

Under the box showing the Live Session User/qwerty information, is a button marked "Manage Groups". Click on it,then scroll down the list to "nopasswdlogin". Now click the "Properties" button, and you get a list of Group Members. Now check/tick the box next to "Live Session User", then click the "OK" button. You have just ended the password problem for the Live Version! :)....uhh, at least until you have to re-boot the DVD. (I've not had time to try USB Live w/persistance, or customized DVDs).

Once you've made the changes, back out to the main menu and desktop, then log out. Now log in with "qwerty"as your username, skip over the password field, and click the "Login" button. It may take several seconds before the desktop appears, or it may popup right away. Also, if you do click into the password field, just leave it blank and click the Login button.

At last I've given something back to Linux, and to the giants of every discipline whose shoulders I stand on every day! :)