A new ICANN policy almost killed LXLE.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    ICANN the dictators in charge of domain name addresses nearly killed LXLE over a policy change. After 8 years of uninterrupted service ICANN suddenly wanted to 'verify' all owners of domain names. Their only form of contact was an old email address used to initially set up lxle. Since then my email address had changed and I no longer had access to the old one. On top of that I also had moved so I had no picture identification associated with my old address.

Enter the double whamming catch 22. I could neither access the old email to update whatever needed to be updated nor could I provide a proof of address from nearly 8 years ago. After four days of fighting over it I finally got it resolved by digging through a bunch of old stuff in my basement around the time of our move where I luckily stumbled upon a bill associated with my old address. After some pleading and submission of both an ID and old address documentation the account was finally 'verified'.

I was outraged simply because lots of things change in 8 years and to rip the account offline like that even though there was no attempt to transfer the domain or cancel it in anyway and even though it was being paid for every year and worked on all those years it was still ripped offline like it never existed. Serious damage has been done already as far as crawlers/indexing and the project being reported as dead. So there will likely be months of repairs ahead.

Needless to say it's back online and that's the most important part. Saved from probably the greatest internet domain heist in history. I can't imagine how many sites will go offline over this new 'verification' policy.
    Thanked by 2Rademes Klemperer
  • famewolffamewolf
    PMPosts: 62
    Glad to see you are back up.  I'll admit when I went to grab your latest version and the site was "dead" I wondered if in the interim time you'd moved onto other projects.  Really glad to see that wasn't the case.
  • RademesRademes
    PMPosts: 7
    Dear lxle, you made me very worried, when your web site stopped working! Glad to see it works again! Right now, I am testing latest LXLE, but in nearest future I planning to install an use it on my work computers. So your project and your support is very important for me. I already donated a month ago, and I will donate next month too. Keep it up!
    Best wishes from Latvia!
    Thanked by 1lxle
  • binbin
    PMPosts: 41
    Had me a bit worried too! Sorry to hear about ICANNT ruining your day - absolute power corrupts everywhere!
    Thanked by 1lxle
  • Rhino_CrackerRhino_Cracker
    PMPosts: 30
    My suggestion: Create some fallback adresses (e.g. on freedns.afraid.org, e.g. lxle.beerprojects.com :) ).
    I've lost my dyndns in a very similar way.
    Testing LXLE 18.04.3 (64-Bit) on DELL-XPS-M1530
    "Needless to say, LXLE is a speedy, low resource using beast of an OS."
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    ya i'll have to do that
  • Glad you survived. LXLE is a really nice distro.

But divesting the USA of internet names and domains control by the previous administration is going to give rise to problems like those you suffered through, and more, in the future.
  • BeamerBeamer
    PMPosts: 62
    Things just get weirder and weirder out there.  Thanks God you're still online.  Yes, that is definitely tip worthy.

LXLE user since 2013.