High CPU usage not settling down
  • Lxle 18.04.03 high CPU usage around 50% permanently as indicated in the top left panel window and 100% for root in HTOP.  I ran the computer for 15 hours and CPU did not change as suggested.  It did not settle down to a lower value at any stage. 
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    What additional software has been installed?
  • Same as installed on 16.04.04 grub-customizer chromium-browser brave-browser bleachbit sweeper clamtk gtkorphan abiword libreoffice vlc leafpad nautilus wps-office thunar.  I installed the latest Lubuntu at one stage and from memory it ran with the same high CPU.
  • lxlelxle
    then there is a conflict somewhere...... it might have been a good idea to notice when the high cpu usage started... and or installed one program at a time... restarting.. in order to isolate the problem... i would start with removing clamtk
  • I installed a second copy of LXLE 18 in its own partition.  I have Windows 10, Lxle 16 (which runs at low CPU) the first version of LXLE 18 (high CPU) and the just installed LXLE 18 (High CPU) all in their own partitions.
    The just installed LXLE 18 runs with 50% in the CPU panel and 100% in 413 root Memory 1.2% for systemd-ud+.  This occurred as soon as the OS was installed with no programs/software added.  I ran uCareSystem Core update and no change to CPU.  I could leave it running for hours to see if it settles down but rest assured it will not based on the previous installed LXLE 18.
    Would it not be easier to create an automatic terminal boot command for:
    sudo systemctl stop systemd-udevd systemd-udevd-kernel.socket systemd-udevd-control.socket
    sudo systemctl start systemd-udevd systemd-udevd-kernel.socket systemd-udevd-control.socket
    which solves the  problem of high CPU
    Am I the only one who is having this problem.  If I am the only one then my Dell laptop has a conflict problem with LXLE 18 but not with LXLE 16.
    Graham
  • lxlelxle
    Yes, you're the only one reporting this problem. Sounds like you may be running into a driver issue or lack their of... sometimes regressions happen. Check the driver manager to see if perhaps there is a driver available for a particular piece of hardware.

I have done a few searches and while you're the only one reporting the problem with lxle.. there are a few that have reported similar problems with all flavors of ubuntu 18.04
  • I installed LXLE 18 on an old tower emachines EL1352 computer and the CPU ran at around 5% so the problem is with my Dell laptop having a conflict with versions of Ubuntu 18.
    I should have tried this earlier, but my brain was not thinking logically, but we did prove that the problem is with my laptop and not the distro.  Thanks for your assistance.  I am not sure how to the driver search.
    Graham
  • lxlelxle
    driver manager in control menu / hardware
  • Driver Manager only lists Broadcom Limited etc and bcmwl-kernal-source with no other options to search for drivers.  In other OS, a search can be done for drivers but I cannot find in in LXLE.
    Regarding high CPU, the following single one step terminal command can be used to drop CPU back to minimal level.  When the CPU load is reduced from 50% to 2% with this command the CPU temperature drops from 66 to 45 degrees.

sudo systemctl restart systemd-udevd systemd-udevd-kernel.socket systemd-udevd-control.socket

• One line command to reduce CPU usage
    sudo systemctl restart systemd-udevd systemd-udevd-kernel.socket systemd-udevd-control.socket