Considering dropping Libreoffice
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    It's a pig and it's dependencies have grown so large that not only is it insisting on installing essentially the entire package but during install the help files also install a second web browser as they only define 4. If one doesn't have one of those 4 then it installs one of them.... it currently adds 500 megs to the distribution size and it's memory use is appalling.

Thoughts?
  • If you do not include it out of the box, we can always add it ourselves later. I'm curious about what you just said above, as I have always installed just the components I've wanted. Does this mean that I can no longer do that myself?
    LXLE user since 2013.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    if you install writer you also get math, if you install impress you also get draw, if you install one of the help files they now force one of 4 web browsers to install if you don't have one of the 4 installed...

that last one is the 'new' requirement when the libreoffice ppa is enabled.
  • ziobystekziobystek
    PMPosts: 1
    for me, you can drop it
  • I was thinking about uninstalling it as long as I was using LXLE. It keeps the updater busy and I use it less frequent as it updates.
    Imo, it's nice to have a pre-installed office viewer/creator, but it's not worth the effort it takes.
    Testing LXLE 18.04.3 (64-Bit) on DELL-XPS-M1530
    "Needless to say, LXLE is a speedy, low resource using beast of an OS."
  • I agree. I use it on my very old subnotebook still, but I always prefer lxle without thos  "pigs" - so users like me still get a reliable linux distro without those too big programs. Great idea! Like Beamer said - we can always install it later for a try, and if it is too much we'll drop it. Better to leave those huge ones out. Somehow related to the "Lubuntu drops the original idea of being really light-weight"-topic. SO glad you don't follow that route.
  • I agree too. Libreoffice became too heavy. There are lighter alternatives, such as Apache OpenOffice and SoftMaker FreeOffice. l use SoftMaker FreeOffice, and it is very good office application.