Testing of Seamonkey and its components needed
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    If anyone running the 18.04.3 beta could do some browsing/testing with seamonkey and or any of it's components such as the calendar, addressbook, irc, composer, ftp and the mail/news/rss programs it would be greatly appreciated.
  • mhbellmhbell
    PMPosts: 23
    Running it here to try it out. Calendar, IRC. Events are all working OK I am not using the mail because I use thunderbird. Will see if I can transfer my contacts over to seamonkey mail.
    Mel
  • lxlelxle
    thanks, instead of testing the mail app with an email account you can simply subscribe to an rss feed or newgroup with it instead. Although you should be able to transfer contacts over to it because the mail app uses thunderbird code as it's base.
  • BeamerBeamer
    PMPosts: 62
    Did you choose the array of extensions? For lxle? Or does Seamonk come with?
    LXLE user since 2013.
  • lxlelxle
    Seamonkey has been highly customized for lxle...

https://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/screenshots
    Thanked by 1Beamer
  • BeamerBeamer
    RSS  works fast and easy.  
    QUESTION:
    All those feeds that populate the blogs and news RSS reader, I assume they remain in the cloud somewhere, and do not take up real estate on my computer. Am I correct in assuming this?

Note to self:  study about local folders.
    LXLE user since 2013.
  • BeamerBeamer
    Bug discovered in blogs and news feeds.
    Problem occurs when trying to add the SeaMonkey Project News Feed.
    An error message appeared, offering to test the situation to see if it was valid or not.
    It is valid, however there was a problem with interoperability or some such word, in line 69, and href self-referencing, from the first few lines or so.

THE  SOLUTION:
    Enter the following as FEED URL:
               HTTPS://www.seamonkey-project.org/news-atom
    This url works.

The code has ..../news
    That is the bug.

Can somebody report this?  I don't have time for a learning curve this weekend.
    Thanks very much.
    LXLE user since 2013.
  • lxlelxle
    Worked fine here... didn't need to do anything special.. I went to seamonkey-project.org and clicked on the feed icon in the address bar... then selected 'news and blogs' and hit subscribe now.... everything populated as it should.
  • BeamerBeamer
    Hmm...  does it end in ...../news-atom when you do it your method?  In the Url box?

I went to the news page itself, and not noticing an RSS icon anywhere, I just typed in the URL from the address bar. That ends in ..../news.  Which makes sense now.

However, a validation error told me how to fix it.   

I'm going to revisit it, using your method.

LXLE user since 2013.
  • BeamerBeamer
    revisitation complete.  My bad, user error.

I have four monitors on the go here. Different version of LXLE.

The RSS feed button does not appear on the monitor that was running in Firefox.
    That was the monitor I was reading while I typed in the URL.

All is well.  Something new to learn every day.
    I'm learning why to love the LXLE-specially-tweaked SeaMonkey, out of the box.
    Great job!

LXLE user since 2013.
  • Mail works fine here. If you got thunderbird installed first (not much use in a beta but I just tested^^) it simply sets up your mail account using thunderbird, still. Nice. Mail runs like expected. Enigmail works too.

Browser and menu bar on top-problem:

Funny is that I still run in the same seamonkey problem (not related to your address bar thread in tips). I only get the menu bar, if ticked, on the right side of seamonkey. But I want it above as a line, like in all browsers. Whatever I do in seamonkey, it fails.
     Then a purge and simple re-install - voila, the menu bar file edit view go etc is where I want it to be :). I do that procedure since ages and have no clue how to do it otherwise.
    Otherwise everything works fine with all sites I checked. the legacy ublock origin still works like before, but as we are still on 2.94.4 as stable version this doesn't come as a surprise^^.