Laptop Shift & Ctrl keys dead HP-dv8000
  • I have checked keyboard settings, all are set to English-US.

I ran: sudo hd /dev/input/by-path/platform-i8042-serio-0-event-kbd

Nothing happens when i press "Shift" or "Ctrl" keys or any combination. I can toggle the Caps Lock key on/off for capital letters. But I can not use special characters on the number keys (like @, #, $), or keyboard shortcuts(Ctrl+C , Ctrl+V, etc.). The Alt keys work. All other keys work. 

An external usb keyboard allows the use of Shift & Ctrl....

So is this a driver issue, LXkeymap issue, or a hardware issue? 

I do need to disassemble this laptop anyway, to replace video cable and/or inverter board to try to fix a white vertical strobing bar on the screen. So, I can check the keyboard connection at that time. There are no apparent stuck keys or physical damage. 

Seems unlikely that a water spill on keyboard or other accident would cause both Shift & both Ctrl keys to be dead and none others. (I have also noticed that strange characters get entered in console if NumLock is off, maybe separate issue.)

I have also utilized the "Florence Virtual Keyboard" and put a link on desktop for easy access, but it a bit wonky, seems to have sticky keys enabled and steals control of keys and even touchpad left/right-click buttons, until Florence is deactivated. Its a workaround for special characters, but not ideal. 

Refurbishing this old thing for a family member in need. I have a duplicate dv8000 for myself that I will use to help him with any issues he has with hardware or LXLE. So I guess I could swap out keyboards and see if that works. Other one has older version of LXLE, installed about six months ago. I don't remember having this issue on that laptop, but it is possible...I do plan on reinstalling LXLE with latest version so laptops will be nearly identical for troubleshooting his remotely.

Thanks in advance
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    i'm guessing hardware problem
  • Yeah, I think so...swapped hard drives between two identical laptops w/ LXLE and still same issue on the same keyboard. Still seems weird tho, (only & both Shift's & Cntrl's affected). I still have to check the ribbon connection. Thanks
  • Confirmed hardware issue in other OS's, incl. Win10x86. Florence is a good fix. Or external keyboard -  usb/bluetooth. 
This discussion has been closed.
All Threads