Amilo Pro V3515 Reduced Screen Resolution With 16.04.2
  • I originally installed V12.04.3 LTS and this correctly recognised the screen resolution of the lap-top (1280 x 800). Version 12.03.4 still recognises the correct screen resolution now if I try the 'live preview' or actually install it. Until an update (to 16) the other day 'broke' the system I have been very impressed.

If I try the 'live preview' of 16.04.2 it gives the screen resolution as 1024 x 768 (instead of the expected 1280 x 800). The size of the icons at the top of the screen suggest that it is using the resolution that it is showing - not good as it isn't the native resolution but usable. However, once installed 16.04.2 shows, and uses, a resolution of 640 x 480 - and only offers this resolution (might suggest that the preview and installed versions are using different drivers?)

Why are the resolutions of the preview and installed versions of 16.04.2 incorrect? Is there anything that I can change to get the native resolution or is the lap-top effectively scrap?

The Amilo Pro V3515 has a VIA VN986 chipset with a VIA Chrome9 HC GPU.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    different graphics driver... trying checking the driver manager to see if there are any proprietary drivers.
  • "Control Menu/Hardware/Driver Manager" just shows an unknown device with two options. Option 1 (selected) is intel-microcode version 3.20170707.1~ubuntu16.04.0
    Option 2 is "Don't use this device"

Is there something else I can do with the driver manager?

I did try using Synaptic to install xserver-xorg-video-openchrome but following a reboot the screen is blank and the backlight appears to be off.
  • If I understand correctly the problem is caused by changes in the Xorg software that is included in the later versions of Ubuntu (feel free to correct me if I am wrong).

I have therefore gone back to LXLE V12.04.3 LTS and then used the following commands to update Firefox and GIMP - the only packages that I particularly need on a laptop that is generally only used when I am away on holiday. I am aware that running an older version of Linux will have implications for security but I really only use it for browsing whilst on holiday. Whilst this is not the ideal solution it will suffice for the time being.

(not sure if you have to remove Firefox first - I did but I didn't remove GIMP and that seemed to update successfully)

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install firefox
    sudo apt-get install gimp

This updates to FF V52.0.2 and GIMP V2.8.20

• LXLE 16.04.3 (32 bit)
    Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo L7320GW
    ( Chipset Model: VIA VN 800; Graphics Chipset Model: VIA UniChrome Pro )
    After new installation the screen resolution are low. (Can't change)

Resolve:  - Install VIA driver:
    sudo apt install xserver-xorg-video-openchrome

More information:
    https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Openchrome/SupportedHardware/

• Thanks for the reply. As noted in my first post of this thread I did try to install the openchrome driver but following a reboot the screen was blank (or the back-light was off).