LXLE on a HP DV5000 type laptop = awesome
  • ChipLuckChipLuck
    PMPosts: 13
    I just HAVE to thank someone for putting together this distro. FYI: I ran SCO UNIX under a 8 each i386 CPU based Multi-Bus II flight simulation system back in the mid 80's days. I also currently run a regular Ubuntu installation on my desktop machine.

Having spent time on multiple light weight distros, from full blown Ubuntu with a LXLE desktop, etc. I found this gem. I share this information here in case others may have the same hardware/laptop. Sure would have save me some time.

My HP Pavilion spec's:

Model : DV5000 dv5139us
    CPU : AMD Turion 64, ML-37, 2 Ghz, 1.6 bus
    RAM : 2 Gb (maxed out)
    Graphics : ATI Radeon 200M
    Wifi : Broadcom BCM4318

I tried full blown Ubuntu had the usual Wifi issues out-of-the-box with having to manually install the b43 drivers for the Broadcam WiFi and as others know, you have to connect a wired internet connection to do anything. It worked just OK, however RAM was an issue with web browsing. Then I searched around and burned then booted a LXLE live 16.04.2 DVD and it had no problems with WiFi and connected normally. Sound worked, WiFi worked, video worked [edit] now dual monitors work. So I ran gparted and prepared the hard drive, then installed and now a very happy camper. No major issues found.

There are a few small issues left to fix, but over all this distro is a real winner. If you need a lightweight but very versatile and resource friendly Linux OS for an older system, LXLE highly recommended! Cheers...

---

• I will use the thread to also say LXLE works perfectly on my HP Elitebook laptop 8530w.

It had serious issues in Linux Mint. I suppose because it's a rare model and has rare hardware such as video card being Nvidia Quadro 770m. The SSD is also a self-encrypting Crucial mx300 so maybe Mint Linux was confused with it.

Anyhow I'm very happy I found LXLE and it works perfectly, not a single issue.
  • lxle is sort of still working on a Pentium IV...but it has to be noted that if one changes to kernel 5.x that the graphics card absolutely needs to be updated soon. As it happened (also) to me, my graphics card overheated some time after the transition and several kernel files (or at any rate, files nec. to recognize the net card and X.org) went away! (Yeah, btrfs...way to rub it in, zfs fans.)

Anyhow, where's anticapitalista, please post the suggestion to the right thread?

And also what am I to do as far as automagic system repair (only yes, much more benign than the Windows one that works on a 1000000:1 basis?) I guess I can go through /var/cache/apt or something and trying to apt-get reinstall the things there in case kernel_______ is one of the things there. Other suggestions welcome of course.
  • I recently installed it on a HP dv5000, also (dv5220us) and was quite pleased.  I had already maxed it out on RAM at 2 GB, swapped the mechanical hard drive for a SSD, and tried Mint a couple of ways but it would lock up.  Mine has a Intel Centrino Duo 7600 so it can run 64-bit.  Unfortunately the backlight for the screen died.  I replaced it yesterday but now the WiFi doesn't work (Intel WiFi card).  I feel like I'm playing whack-a-mole but have really liked LXLE otherwise, though.
  • Running LXLE on a very small subnotebook here, a hp-dm1 4000, slow dual core, and it ran perfect. When a cobblestone-street killed the display for ever, I found a HP probook 6460 used, some 9 years old or older, - and again LXLE 18.04 runs perfect.

My girlfriend likes it so much she wanted to get rid of her Win7 on an old desktop. The only problem - with any ubuntu-style distro, not lxle-related - was that her geforce graphics do not work with Linux. Any hacks we found trying everything within weeks did end somewhere without solution, but we learnt a lot at the time^^.

LXLE is simply wonderful.