New From Maine
  • mdiemermdiemer
    PMPosts: 36
    Just joined up! Installed yesterday and am very impressed. LXLE runs great on my Gateway GT5656 AMD dual-core. Just started using and already it's one of my two favorite distros (other is Ubuntu Mate. I'm waiting for Zorin Lite - full version has problems on this machine). Can't believe this is considered a lite OS, considering all the features. Also, it has the best wallpapers I've ever seen. I use Wallpapers Wide myself so was thrilled you had 100 one of them loaded. It's fast, beautiful and well designed. I usually put the "start menu" on the bottom, after years of Windows use, but I actually like it better up top. It's somehow easier to view there. After configuring for my aging eyes, I have most things just right. Fantastic job, you've gained a long-term user!
  • Ol_PhillCOl_PhillC
    PMPosts: 3
    Welcome aboard. I don't know if I am qualified to say that yet as I too am a newcomer to Linux and to LXLE in particular. I am with you on the top toolbar, it just makes sense. I have been trying other distros and found myself trying to make them work like LXLE instead of letting them have their own personality. I guess that means that I really like it.

I have been playing with Bodhi lately and like its approach quite well. It is minimal to start but with all the tools to build any way you want. I am even letting it be itself along the way. 

Anyway, enjoy. 
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Nice to hear. I set lxle up as if I were setting it up for a friend. Always have. I don't 'aim' for windows users, nor the novice. I aim for, if my somewhat computer literate buddy was going to use this after I installed it, this is how I would want to present it.

Nothing magical, just a simple philosophy of, 'it's pretty good right?'. :)
  • mdiemermdiemer
    It's pretty good, alright. I'll try to restrain myself as over the top praise can be rather annoying. but this is in fact a great distro . I sure hope you keep it going. It's not easy to create something that really stands out in the GNU/Linux universe. There are many, many fine distros as we all know. So, to come up with a new one that people will gravitate to is not easy, to say the least. But you have done it. I would say LXLE is in the top ten, and not just as a "light" entry. It's one of the most user friendly yet powerful ones out there. The only things I have needed to install so far is Redshift. Also, I like Firefox and Geary so I went with those after trying out Seamonkey. Installs were easy so not a big deal.
  • mdiemermdiemer
    I'm back! After my graphics card went bad, I'm back to using on-board graphics (computer is over 10 years old). I tried several light distros, but with the newer kernels, all of them had problems. But not LXLE. It's working like a champ, as usual. I'll be keeping it this time. Nothing else comes close in terms of efficiency plus elegance. Thank you again for this great operating system.

Michael
    Thanked by 1lxle
  • mdiemermdiemer
    I'm back again again! I had to abandon LXLE on this old desktop after the Ubuntu-16.04-based version, since I could no longer install the 304 driver on later versions, like 18.04. But the open-source drivers must have caught up with my 6150se on-board card. I do need to use LXDE, Moksha or lighter desktops, but since LXLE uses LXDE by default, no problem there. It's great to be back!
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    great news!