New user's feedback
  • Aladar42Aladar42
    PMPosts: 1
    Hey there! :) Installed LXLE on an old Intel Core 2 Duo PC a week or so ago, and I'd like to share some impressions and feedback with you, if you don't mind.

Firstly, the footprint is great. It's using 50-100MB less RAM compared to any other "old PC" distro (with only wattOS being slightly more efficient) while looking really nice. Great job, I did want something Debian-based, but I'm definitely sticking to LXLE now.

However, I do have some issues and feedback I would appreciate if you could hear out.

1) The amount of PPA repos seems excessive. I don't think we need, for example, VLC daily repo, since VLC updates aren't exactly blazing fast anyway. It tends to slow down the update process A LOT (like by minutes on busy days), which is really not ideal. I do understand tht some of the choice software may not be in the Ubuntu repo, but for the rest, I'd love to see it trimmed a bit. There's also the potential security issues with foreign repos that may not really arise from launchpad, but caution is always nice...

2) Some more repo issues - For some reason, even after installing and setting the locale, I'm still getting both my country's mirror *and* US mirrors, as well as both x64 and i386. Again, this slows the update process to a complete crawl some days and it's extremely frustrating. Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the i386 repos be deleted after the system detecting the proper architecture? Is there a reason for this that I'm missing?

3) The locale seems to have issues. I tried the wiki's workaround, but some parts of system still remain untranslated in English. And I don't mean like, 3rd party software or other utilities that just may not have been localized yet, but core LXDE stuff like the shutdown dialogue. Not a huge issue, but a hassle as I'm using this on my mother's PC and she's not bilingual. I would really appreciate if this could get fixed.

4) The terminal. I know this is a personal preference issue, but why is paste mapped to right click? I feel like this will just confuse any users, Windows hoppers or Linux veterans. Why have it like this by default, instead of going the usual route with option to map it to right click? By the way, there's a bug with the color scheme and htop, I can provide screenshots if you'd like.

5) The default window/application panel (I can't recall the official LXDE name for it now, sorry) is for some reason set to stretched by default. I can't be the only one to think this looks awful, to open a single application and have it take up 40% of your whole task bar. Again, I know it can be set, but is there really anyone that likes to have it extremely stretched like this? Far be it from me to act as an arbiter of good taste, but this looks ridiculous for me, and the unintuitive process of getting rid of it will probably alienate some potential users. Please, think of removing the stretch. I'd really appreciate it.

6) This is probably just a nitpick, but the project doesn't seem to have clear goal as to Windows users. You state on your site that the goal is to "Provide a complete drop in and go replacement for XP, Vista, 7 Starter/Basic.", yet some of the stuff I've written about above is potentionally (and most likely) completely alienating to the average Windows user with little to no Linux experience. Also, on the forums you say you don't really cater to Windows users. Again, probably a nitpick, but it would probably benefit everyone to have clearly set the project's stance on Windows friendliness.

Hopefully I'm not coming off too harsh. The distro is very nice, and I'm definitely going to continue using it and recommending it to people with old machines. I'm also definitely thinking about throwing at least some amount of money your way in donations or bounties if the distro gets fixed up that little bit more, something I have never done before. :)

Thanks for your work, man.

edit: OH, by the way, I love the fact that most of the system is already set up out of the gate, like UFW being enabled and all. Lovely little touch that most distros don't care for. :)
    Thanked by 1Anonymouse52