Cannot update fresh LXLE install
  • Hey guys. I am a long time linux user, but I am new to LXLE.  I installed it to revive an old laptop that only has about 1.5G of RAM.  However, I installed the system with no issues, and booted it up. The first thing I did was open a terminal and enter "sudo apt-get update" and input my password. Everything goes well until it tries to connect to archive.getdeb.net. Then I get this:

Err:32 http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu xenial-getdeb InRelease
    Could not connect to archive.getdeb.net:80 (144.79.200.19), connection timed out
    Fetched 1,927 kB in 2min 20sec (13.8kB/s)
    Reading package lists... Done
    Could not connect to archive.getdeb.net:80 (144.76.200.19), connection timed out
    W: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Then it simply drops me back to the command prompt. I can provide a sources.lst file if need be.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    usually when/if that happens it's simply because the getdeb repository might not be responding however it doesn't stop the progress of the update, you just have to wait it out.
  • Doesn't stop the progress of the update? How do you mean? It aborts the update entirely due to this error.
  • lxlelxle
    reread what it says, it says either skipping or some of the packages/libraries have been ignored. That only means the library in question in this case getdeb will not be used in the updates shown..

If it continues to be an issue, which none have reported. Simply use the y ppa manager tool already included to remove the additional ppa. You could also use synaptic or edit the sources list manually.

I checked both versions of the iso and getdeb seems to be updating fine. Perhaps the site/repository was down momentarily. It happens at times.
  • It seems like getdeb.net has been down for many days.  I checked with several services, and it isn't just for me.  Is there an alternative repository that can be used when getdeb.net is unavailable?
  • lxlelxle
    disable it using yppa manager or synaptic
  • Thanks for the quick reply.  If I disable getdeb.net what are the updates I won't get, or what will get uninstalled?  I see in Synaptic it is listed for both the "apps" and "games" sections.  E.g. if it got LibreOffice from there, will it uninstall that?  (I suppose I could just try it, but I thought you might already know, and others might learn also.)

I was kind of asking if I turn those off, are there other recommended PPA sites I should add to replace those?

Do you think getdeb.net archives will ever come back?  Their wiki site is also dead, and their blog hasn't been updated since April 2015 . . . .
  • As an example of what is broken right now, when I do "sudo apt-get update" it takes a very long time and then complains about missing getdeb.net information.  "sudo apt-get upgrade" still works and updates some packages.

So far that's still OK.  But if I try to install things like "sudo apt-get install openscad"  or "sudo apt-get install vlc" it will fail with broken dependencies.  Those are applications that I used to be able to run on my previous distro.  

I really like LXLE and I'd like to stay with it, but if I can't upgrade or install some not-so-rare applications on it, I'll have to switch, which would make me sad.
  • lxlelxle
    disable it using yppa manager or synaptic
  • razakrazak
    PMPosts: 4
    how to disable it? i have tried using yppa manager but i could not find any reference to getdeb