LXLE 16.04.2 Released
  • pemartinspemartins
    PMPosts: 91
    Thank you very much!
  • Thank you. A small question: I have LXLE 16.04.1 at the moment installed. How can I update / upgrade to the new 16.04.2 version? Or does this happen automatically when updating?
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    updates to the core software is automatic however changes to the overall system are not, honestly scrap that POS and install this one.
  • It basically means that there is no direct upgrade possible, I have to reinstall. Is this always going to be the case? Every time there is a new release it means reinstalling?
    What about the extra installed software? Obviously I can backup my home directory etc. Is there a way to ave the installed software"Like reinstall automatically with a kind of backup? If I keep the existing installation will the other programs like LibreOffice still update are are these simply stuck as well?
  • lxlelxle
    The software always updates. The custom changes do not. Each release is the users 'starting point'. At no time will an 'update' come through and change/rearrange their personal setup and or desktop because there is a 'new version' out.
  • So if I understand you correctly, the software itself updates, but if I stick with the present release I don get new features. But the software like LibreOffice / VLC and other programs will always be updated.
  • lxlelxle
    and the system itself, like the kernel, drivers, etc etc... update to their latest version..
    Thanked by 1oulikjan
  • I'm new to Linux so maybe my question is ignorant but how is LXLE 16.04.02 different from ubuntu 16.04.02 ? Or are these files responsible for everything in the OS?

Another thing: During check for updates I was asked if I want to update my LXLE 16.04.02 to ubuntu 16.04.03 (I think, or was it lxle 0.3 to ubuntu 0.4 ?). I chose "no" because I thought it's better to have your original OSs latest version than default ubuntu. Did I choose right? What would have happened if I chose the ubuntu file and updated?