multiple NVIDIA video cards - slow?
  • OCDOCD
    PMPosts: 2
    Hello all, first post here. :)

I've used LXLE for some time now on my Samsung T1 SSD as a portable OS as it is fantastically fast to boot.

As I've just performed a major upgrade of my desktop system, I'm experimenting with its abilities as an everyday OS, but have a question or too.

I have 2 x NVIDIA video cards. They are quite old (GeForce 9800 GT). Each card supports 2 monitors. I use 2 x monitors on 1 card and 1 monitor on the second card (so, only 3 monitors in total).

When I boot my new installation of LXLE (16.04.1 64b), one of the cards starts up and 2 monitors light up. I log in and have a nice 2 monitor extended desktop. The other card - nothing.

From various other distros over the years, learned I have to install the proprietary driver. Launched the 'Driver Manager' app, it shows nvidia-340.102-0ubuntu0.16.04.1 as the recommended driver.

I installed it and rebooted. Plymouth fails (as usual - no big deal), then I get the login screen. Only 1 monitor active. Login and desktop is now only 1 monitor and is very slow. I can see it painting the windows on the screen. ;)

Which kinda seems like the reverse of what one might think would happen. Usually, performance gets better with the proprietary driver.

Started nvidia-settings and found that it doesn't seem to recognise either card.

Can anyone help me improve the speed and regain my lost monitors? My apologies if I've left out important information. Happy to provide this if requested.

Thank you.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    i would try launching the nvida-settings app as root first, ex. gksu nvidia-settings or perhaps you could find some extra help at the following link

http://askubuntu.com/questions/455124/how-do-i-get-switchable-graphics-to-work-on-my-samsung-rf711-w...

i also have a startup script that occurs at login that auto configures dual monitor setups... you may want to turn that off... perhaps even install arandr and see if that helps.