LXLE wont install Grub to the EFI partition.
  • mhbellmhbell
    PMPosts: 23
    LXLE wont install Grub to the EFI partition. This on a Clean New SSD Disk with GPT partitioning. Is LXLE not UEFI aware. It finds the EFI partition but will not install I tried install letting it take the whole disk but when it get to grub install I get a error and it won't install or boot. It does make the EFI partition.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    uefi and smartboot are different things, perhaps its smartboot.
  • mhbellmhbell
    The error that I get is "The Grub-EFI-AMD64-Signed Package Failed to install into /target/. Without the grub Boot Loader the Installed System will not Boot. My partitioning is GPT with a EFI partition
    /boot/efi it is 32 Mb fat 32. Now my question is does LXLE 1604.1 support uefi / efi or not? I Don't know what you mean by smart boot.. All of my other distro's that are UEFI / EFI aware put grub in the EFI partition and the Boot Windows and Mint and Ubuntu and several others that I have tried. With no problem I might add. Now my question again is LXLE uefi / efi aware and cal it boot using a EFI partition or does it have to be MBR partitioning. I can boot it using another distro that is UEFI / EFI aware by booting LXLE from its root partition. Please advise and be specific.

• lxlelxle
    ok, first off, you're not going to spam the forums with the same question.... lets get that straight right off the bat... second. uefi and smart boot are not the same thing. check your bios and see if you can have uefi and turn off smart boot. If not we'll go from there...
  • mhbellmhbell
    First of all I was not trying to spam the forums. I came here to try and get help with a problem that you don't seem to understand. I try to explain fully what the problem is. I have Asus UEFI Bios on a A88XM-A Asus motherboard The Bios does not say anything at all about Smart Boot. It is a UEFI Bios. It does have a disable Secure Boot, which is disabled. It also has a compatibility mode for other OS besides windows which is enabled. My partitioning is GPT. I can install LXLE on this SSD Disk, but it will not install grub except in the root partition. You cannot install to the MBR with GPT partitioning. it has to install to a /boot/efi partition which I have on the ssd disk. Other OS's that are UEFI / EFI aware install just fine. What is the solution? I would like for LXLE to be stand alone on its own SSD disk without having to partition a disk with MBR partitioning. From what I have read Smart boot uses the MBR and smart boot would not be able to work with GPT partitioning. With GPT partitioning the MBR is protected and not used. Can you help? if LXLE is MBR partioning for its grub bootloader to work, then say so. if it will work with UEFI /EFI Bios and partitioning, then How?
    Mel

• lxlelxle
    are you partitioning the drive manually or allowing the installer to do it?
    Thanked by 1mhbell
  • mhbellmhbell
    I have tried both ways using a  Blank Gpt partitioned drive. I will try it again if you think that will help. I have installed it 5 or 6 times now. I tried it again. doing everything from scratch again. here is what I did and the results. I appreciate your help in this matter. Here is what I did. I hope this is not to long. I downloaded a fresh
    copy of LXLE and installed the ISO to a USB Stick and from the live
    install I then installed it to a Blank SSD Disk with GPT
    partitioning. I let live LXLE install, use the whole SSD Disk.

It
    made a ESP partition, a Root partition, and a Swap partition. When it
    got to the part of installing the Grub Boot loader it crashed. I
    clicked close and the following error message came up and the
    computer froze up. The error message was.

[quote] Installer
    Crashed Were sorry the installer crashed, After you close this
    Window, we’ll allow you to file a bug report using the integrated
    bug reporting tool. This will gather information about your system
    and your installation process. The details will be sent to our bug
    tracker and a developer will attend to the problem As soon as
    possible. [/quote]

Because it froze up
    at that point the only thing I could do was reset the computer. I
    then booted another drive and ran grub update allowing me to boot
    into LXLE using another distro on a different drive.  

Mel

• lxlelxle
    alright, will look into it, perhaps the upcoming beta will fair better
  • mhbellmhbell
    Thank You LXLE your help is appreciated. It is a fine Distro and I want to use it on all of my computers when it gets fixed. THanks again for your help.
    Mel

• mhbellmhbell
    Downloaded the beta and installed it in a SSD Disk with uefi bios and gpt partitioning. Grub installed like it should this time. Thank You for your time and effort.
    Mel
This discussion has been closed.
All Threads