LXLE 16.04.1 "Printing" not found in System Tools menu
  • I just installed LXLE 16.04.1 (64bit) on a friend's computer which already had Ubuntu 14.04 installed.  Their IT guy had installed it and then left town.  They hate Ubuntu with a passion, and so I showed them my LXLE 12.04.  They quickly asked me to switch them to LXLE, which I did, but just to be safe, I installed the newest version of LXLE (16.04.1) to run along side of Ubuntu, so that if LXLE hiccupped, they could easily go back to what they had before.  

The installation when pretty smooth, but when running through all the systems to make sure everything was functioning, I discovered that they could not print.  My first instinct was to go to "System Tools", and look for "Printing", but I could not find it there.  I then searched all the other utility and app menus and couldn't find "Printing" anywhere.  I shut the computer down and rebooted into Ubuntu, and quickly verified that it saw the printer and would print.  So, the question is, why isn't "Printing" in the System Tools menu, and why won't LXLE 16.04.1 see the printer and print?  I hope somebody can help.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    open a terminal

sudo apt-get install system-config-printer-gnome

I'll check out how this is disappearing, might be a bug coming through the system updater...

thanks
    Thanked by 1Westport
  • I will try this at my next opportunity, in a day or two.  Thanks
  • I had the same issue.  The "printers" function/menu item installs with 16.04.1 properly when doing a clean install, but one of the updates I ran around Christmas or shortly after deleted it.  I did three clean system installs before I realized it wasn't missing from Eclectica but rather that it was being uninstalled during updates (because I was updating immediately after install without looking first).  It disappeared both using Synaptic and the "Updates" program.  Once I realized it was the updates that broke something, I checked Synaptic, saw what was missing, and re-installed system-config-printer-gnome, which had been uninstalled.  That got it back, and none of the updates I've done since have pulled it back out.  Not sure if that's helpful or not but wanted to pass it along.
    Thanked by 1Westport
  • I was going to open a terminal and run 'sudo apt-get... etc'., per lxle's suggestion above, but decided to try to add 'system-config-printer-gnome' from Synaptic, instead.  It worked fine.  Printer function is back and working.  Thanks lxle for the lead.  I'm going to mark this 'Solved'.
This discussion has been closed.
All Threads