Linux.com names best lightweight distribution: LXLE
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Without a doubt, I believe LXLE
    will become the lightweight distribution of choice in 2017. Why?
    Simple. LXLE manages to combine a perfect blend of small footprint with
    large productivity. In other words, this is a small-sized distribution
    that won’t stop you from getting your work done. You’ll find all the
    tools you need in a desktop Linux release that will feel right at home
    on older hardware (as well as newer machines). LXLE is based on Ubuntu
    16.04 (so it will enjoy long-term support) and makes use of the LXDE window manager, which brings with it an instant familiarity.

https://www.linux.com/news/learn/sysadmin/best-linux-distributions-2017

Thanked by 1pemartins
  • Congratulations! It's very well deserved for sure!

Be ready, when the word about LXLE spreads out, the number of permanent users will raise through the roof. Whoever tests LXLE will most probably get addicted to it like it happened to me, it has been my OS since the day I tried it out.
    It's user friendly, looks good, it's very lightweight and it has everything that one needs out of the box. What more could we users ask for?
  • hoodinihoodini
    PMPosts: 3
    I would agree for sure. Great job and keep up the great work!!!
  • I have to hand it to you, it looks and moves around very nicely on very little RAM.

I also love that it recognizes a lot of devices very easily, so thumbs up on the device driver front.

My only request is to facilitate theme and icon customization. For example, I am also evaluating Q4OS as well. 

I am a decades-long Windows user, who had also been unsatisfied with the increasing intrusiveness, the bloatware, the crippleware, all built into Windows (8-10).  I still use and like Win7.  I also rebuild and gift to moms/kids/vets refurbished / free computers. Most expect at least a Windows look (icons, taskbar along bottom margin, Start button, etc...) when they sit in front of any machine. It also has to be intuitive and user friendly.

While Q4OS has serious driver issues, it is very fast and light. Also, it themes to resemble Windows with a single download, after which it is reborn as XPQ4. One step further, another version is FreeXP, in which case it comes Redmond-themed out of the box, and with WINE installed as well.

LXLE can leverage its other advantages over Q4 by also releasing a pre-mixed Redmond theme package. I believe a lot of the work has been done already by the people at the b00merange repository page.

There are a lot of unhappy Windows users who still like the UI's look, but would really enjoy the fast, light and unintrusive advantages of Linux.

Please consider.