LXLE OS 16.04.1 on Centrino Mobile - PAE issues?
  • Hi, I'm new to LXLE, but have a couple of years experience with Fedora.

I have been a Acorn/Risc PC user for years in the 90s and it always baffles me how modern systems are sooo slow and un-responsive despite having processors that are more than 10x faster, and having internal memory which is 20 to 100 more.
    Therefore I was very glad to see and hear about LXLE, that seems to prove that with careful design and programming you can end up with a system that is useable even on older hardware.

Thanks!

So, I decided to install LXLE 16 on my Acer Travelmate 4000 laptop that has a Centrino moble M processor running at 1.6GHz, 1280 MB RAM and a 60GB HD.
    I read on Wikipedia that the mobile M processors are the only ones that *have* PAE, but *do not have* the appropiate flag.

Some general remarks:
    * I tried installing from both DVD and USB stick
    * I checked integrity (OK)
    * for *anything* to work I *HAVE TO USE forcepae ON THE COMMANDLINE !!!

But still I haven't succeeded in getting a working system. I have never been able to get the installation program to finish properly. It always hangs at some place. Last time it got stuck at "Configuring boot system..."
    Despite that, it boots and starts up, but I always get an error during startup that mentions that something of the locale can't be found. I'm in Portugal, use English installation but a Portuguese keyboard.
    This did not seem to hinder much.
    I updated all software with the supplied script. That went ok, but after re-booting all icons on the desktop seem to be missing, no backdrop either and apparently icons also are missing in programs: in short I end with a unusable system.

Other things I noticed: shutdown / power off leaves me with a screen that shows that many things have been made to stop, but the laptop stays ON with HD stopped.

Any tips to get things up and running are appreciated.

I was wondering if the FORCEPAE is only needed during installation, or that it needs to be set/forced on during running the system as well and if this happens or not. If it needs to be forced on, how do I do that?

Thanks,

Keep up the good work

Tomas

• lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    languages are wonky this release, try installing using straight english layout,
  • Languages are not my main problem. Just getting a working system is!
  • TytoTyto
    PMPosts: 5
    After getting some personal advise and finding the post mentioned below, I managed to get my system working.

In short, since the processor in my system does have PAE possibilities, but does NOT display a flag, you have to tell LXLE to force the processor into this mode.

To do this you have to add the command forcepae -- forcepae to the start-up command line when starting to install LXLE.

Read this as well:

http://www.lxle.net/forums/discussion/735/does-14-04-4-kernel-need-pae/p1

It is still too early to start celebrating, because I still manage to brick my system at times without any clear reason or cause... We will see.

Thanks to Anonymouse52 and Rob for their help.

Tom

This discussion has been closed.
All Threads