How to make uxterm terminal transparent (with true transparency)
  • pemartinspemartins
    PMPosts: 91
    So I wanted my terminal emulator to be transparent, don't really know why but I wanted it to be transparent! :D

I wanted true transparency so I did the following:

1- Installed compton from Synaptic Package Manager (found in Main Menu -- Preferences)
    2- Went to Default Applications in LX Sessions (found in Main Menu -- Preferences), in LXSession configuration went to Autostart and added compton to autostart programs (just type compton and click Add)
    3- in ~/.config/compton.conf I deleted it all and typed only this (if the file doesn't exist just create it):
    opacity-rule = [ "85:name *= 'uxterm'"];

EDIT: in LXLE 16.04.2 for it to work use this line instead of the previous one:
    opacity-rule = [ "85:class_g *= 'XTerm'"];

Save the file and it's done.

That's all, now I get this cool transparent uxterm terminal emulator:

Basically I have compton installed just to make my uxterm transparent and do nothing else at all.
    I set the transparency level to 85.

• lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    nice
    Thanked by 1pemartins
  • One funny thing that happens, when I go to this web page we are at right now and this page only, also the web browser turns transparent! Just close and open your web browser again and it will be not transparent again and just as it was before.

I believe it has something to do with the command line being displayed at this page, don't know if it makes sense but it is the only explanation that crosses my mind.