Feedback on Eclectica LXLE Changes
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Good grief.

He couldn't add a panel to the bottom because he never took the cursor to the bottom of the screen to realize there was a panel there. Even screenshots would have revealed the 'issue'.

The weather app isn't broken, it's a terminal curl to pull a website wttr.in, sometimes that website is down. Works just fine.

The browser 'visible screen, that won't expand' is actually set dimensions that can be altered and added to, it's not stagnant. The homepage can be customized to whatever the users like, a simple right click anywhere on the homepage would have revealed this.

He 'dropped all the extensions and abundant modifications' until he realizes he just made the browser completely ugly and disabled just about everything that actually makes it work like firefox and thunderbird, he lost the calendar, ftp, irc app and even little things like right clicking on a link in a page and open it in a new tab.

The 'screen blanking' is the screen lock and it 'pixelating' that he thinks is a 'driver issue' is actually to distort the screen in case you're away so others can't make it out and or snoop.

I get so disappointed in 'reviews' like this, there is little to no time taken to actually investigate or explore anything about the desktop. It is actually getting to the point of absurdity anymore, so much so I consider most 'reviews' as incompetence.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I do have one serious criticism to point out about the current version of LXLE. Languages have been troublesome due to space saving techniques.

• "I get so disappointed in 'reviews' like this, there is little to no time
    taken to actually investigate or explore anything about the desktop. It
    is actually getting to the point of absurdity anymore, so much so I
    consider most 'reviews' as incompetence."

I have exactly the same issues with my favorite distro.  I cannot give this distro to an ordinary computer user (like my wife) and have any peace in the household.

I could not add a panel to the bottom either.  Finally found it but it is not apparent that it is there.  I like to put my program icons there and I have used docky to do that in the past.  I found that it is not simple to do this in the panel.

The weather app needs an explanation somewhere.  I have to figure it out over and over every time I install LXLE on a computer to give away. 

Yes I give away computers to elderly people who are homebound and cannot afford a computer.  A local group here in Tellico Village Tennessee refurbishes computers and I get them for the CHIPS program in Knox County, TN.

Screen Blanking!!!!!!  My God! something is broken!  How do I get out of this.  OK, push Reset and start the whole thing over.  And your answer didn't tell me or any one else how the recover from this.  Hey, Grandma is going to use this computer.  Have a heart.  Snooping may be a problem, but locking the user (Grandma) is not the way to fix that.  If you want to let me do that, make it a setting so that I can tell Grandma or any user what to do.

Right click on the home page? I get the some choices: ObConf which is supposed to mean OpenBox Configuation Manager.  There is not enough space in the little box to spell that out for me or for Grandma?  Give me a break.  And Reconfigure?  That goes nowhere!  Nothing happens.  Should I wait a week?  Maybe this is a bug.  Restart?  Flash some junk and back to the same screen! Nothing changed.  What am I supposed to expect?  "Restart" certainly is not clear to the new user!  Please don't be cryptic.  Oh, yes, as for cryptic, the last item is "Exit", not "Exit Openbox."  What happens when Openbox is exited.  Does it restart.  Can I choose another windows manager?  Give me a clue.  Nope! The windows manager is gone.  No menu in the top panel.  The bottom panel still works and the configuration manager is still running.  But if you close that, nothing works.  RESET again!!!!  Not for Grandma!

OK, more:  The lovely wallpapers that change whether I want to or not.  I am not fond of most of the LXLE  wallpapers.  They are toooooo saturated and complex for a busy desktop.  I add others to the set so I can have soothing simple wallpapers that do not compete for attention with my icons and folders and stuff I am working on.  (Please give this some thought.)But I could set the background for each desktop and it would stay the same so I knew which one I was working on.  Now it changes.  I am sure there is a setting for this.  When you get a chance, let me know where it is.  I want to turn that kind of stuff on or off, not have it forced on me.

Finally, what happened to LXLE 14.04.05 with all the games and apache, etc.  That was a winner for me.  I screwed up my copy and can't find it again.

Thanks for listening to this old man.

John Andrews in Knoxville

• lxlelxle
    All your issues would have easily been solved visiting the help file in the accessories menu.
  • OK, how to fix the fuzzy screen when the computer wakes up?  Just enter your password.  I finally found it by accident, not from sane instructions from LXLE responders to this forum.

John Andrews in Knoxville
  • lxlelxle
    Did you find the help file in the accessories menu?