No access to disk unmounting tool
  • jslnxjslnx
    PMPosts: 4
    I just installed LXLE 16.xx for the first time. I could not find the disk unmounting utility in the application menus, nor figure another way to access it. I searched Synaptic and found that the system had udisks2. But a search for that revealed all sorts of components and I have no idea how to get the application gui to appear. I tried a reinstallation from Synaptic but that didn't work as I got an error message. I don't really understand how applications work in Linux. Unfortunately I'm kind of a gui guy. If anyone could help me get udisks2 into the application menu or some other place I can easily access it, I'd really appreciate it.- Thanks.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    right click on drive select unmount
  • jslnxjslnx
    Right clicking was one of the first things I tried but there's no unmount option in the right click menu.
  • lxlelxle
    then the drive was never mounted to begin with, is this an internal drive?
  • jslnxjslnx
    It was both a usb hard drive and a flash drive. They were both mounted because I accessed them in the file manager.
  • binbin
    PMPosts: 41
    Try installing the gnome-disk-utility.
    It will appear in the Preferences menu as Disks
    It will allow you to mount and un-mount as required.
    This may not solve your issue but will help establish the mount state of the disk.
  • jslnxjslnx
    Installing gnome-disk-utility did work to put an option in the menus. But it is acting strangely. After ejecting flash drive and removing it, if I reopen the application, it's still there, just showing no media in the right pane. It also closes the application when I eject the drive. Maybe having two programs doing the same thing is a problem.

I still don't understand why udisk2, which seems intended to do the same thing and is in the distro, isn't accessible in the applications menu. That seems like a significant mistake and was quite a pain as I've shut down the system to disconnect external disks and spent time trying to figure out a solution. I've also had problems with SeaMonkey, where I couldn't reply to this forum's e-mail through Yahoo mail, and Guayadeque, which wouldn't play music and made the system unworkable. I have a Lubuntu dual boot and have had no problems so far with that. LXLE seems like a good project but might be still a work in progress, at least regarding some applications.

Thanks for the tip.
  • lxlelxle
    You already had Gparted, there was no need for gnome-disk-utility. yahoo mail snafu might have simply been bluhell firewall in seamonkey, turning it off probably would have solved it, Guayadeqe seems to be suffering from some bugs at the moment I suppose, but only you and one other person seems to be afflicted by it as no other reports have been made in regards to it. Finally, why didn't you just pull the usb stick when you were done with it? To my knowledge I don't believe I've ever unmounted a usb stick on linux.
  • I have been using LXLE for about a year, and like it very much, but I am NOT familiar with Linux command line functions, (nor do I want to be).  Unfortunately I ran into a problem today, and the only solution I have found so far, seems to be the command line.
    Briefly, I stuck a flash drive into a USB port to copy some files, only to discover that there is no way to UNMOUNT the drive, short of shutting down the machine.  Is this a bug, an oversight, or just geeky Linux obstinancy?  It should be an easy right click on the drive and then select unmount, but there is none.  So, what's up, and how do I unmount my flash drive without having to regress back to the '80's.

• lxlelxle
    just unplug it
  • INOV8TNINOV8TN
    PMPosts: 1
    I've installed LXLE on my HP Pavilion dx1000 and have found that the only way to unmount USB thumb drives is to go text and UMOUNT them. No joss with File Manager/<Rt Click> either. <Rt Click> would be nice in FM, or more immediately, add the work around (UMOUNT) to a tutorial or list of known work arounds.