Screen locked? Pixelated?
  • Since upgrading I've had an issue whereby when the screen goes to lock mode, it actually seems to change into an 8 bit version of the screen and I cant get back in without switching it on and off, any ideas please?
    Thanked by 1diego
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    That's the screen lock, simply enter your password and hit enter.
  • OH...!  Wow, I really feel like an idiot!  I thought that was a bug with my graphics card/driver!
    It's a neat concept and implementation...but maybe have some legible text on that screen that says "Type your password to unlock" or something.
    Yeah, that's actually a totally cool thing now that I understand it.  Not very intuitive though.  And in this day and age of desktop development, one shouldn't have to comb through a wiki to find out what looks like a bug is actually a "feature".
    Still - I'm a fan of it now that I "get" it!
  • lxlelxle
    There is no 'enter password' message by default, my understanding of that concept is that it's a low level security feature. Granted it should be pointed out better in the next release.
  • JavarodJavarod
    PMPosts: 9
    Is there any way to disable this? Generally speaking I like it, though some documentation would be nice. I hate trying to watch movies and having it lock up in the middle. I'd be happy if the disable popped up a warning that it was going back to defaults or something.
    --
    Seph Harrison
    A figment of his own imagination
    @Taur10 on Telegram
    @TaurTen on Twitter
  • lxlelxle
    visit the help file in the accessories menu
  • There is another problem with the Eclectica screen locker that I only recently discovered.  If logging in with the temporary "Guest Session" user account, the account is locked ('!' in /etc/shadow) for security reasons, however, if the locker activates due to inactivity the user now has no way back in to their session!  Of course it is possible for the guest user to disable the locker in the "Control Menu/Preferences/Default Applications for LXSession->Autostart" to prevent this but changing this setting every time the Guest Session account is created is generally too much to ask of temporary users who are typically taken by surprise by this "feature."  Is there any way to permanently disable the locker for the Guest Session configuration?  Can I recommend a "fix" for some future update?
  • lxlelxle
    Check and see if deactivating it in Control Menu/Preferences/Default Applications for LXSession->Autostart then log out of your guest session then back in, check to see if it took, then log out and log in with your normal account and see if the autostart settings are independent of each other before we check anything else.
  • A regular user account saves settings permitted in the 'Control Menu/Preferences/Default Applications for LXSession', however, the Guest Session accounts are created on login and then destroyed each time on logout--that is the reason any saved files must be copied elsewhere before logging out if one wishes to keep them (I have already tried this many times, files and settings are all forgotten on logout).  Thus, the Guest Session account settings must come from a configuration used by the "user-add" utility specifically for the Guest Session accounts.  It is those Guest Session configuration settings that I'm asking about and recommending a "fix" for in a future update.  I need advice on where they are and how they might be changed.
  • lxlelxle
    well structured explanation..

this might do the trick for you.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CustomizeGuestSession

• Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. :) However, I would still recommend a configuration "fix" for future LXLE releases that have the Guest Session locker disabled by default so an unsuspecting guest user doesn't lock themselves out due simply to inactivity at the console.