LXLE for Internet Cafe
  • MalbouryMalboury
    PMPosts: 4
    Hi,
    I'm not sure where to post this, as I'm not actually in need of technical support so much as I am in need of a little advice. I'm deploying LXLE on some older machines in an internet cafe, and am wondering what would be some good steps to take to secure it for continued use? That is to say, what can I do to make sure these publicly accessible machines remain in a usable state for as long as possible without constant supervision. Under Windows, we used DeepFreeze to avoid users making any permanent changes to the machines - is there anything out there like that? If not, any tips/tricks for setting up a reasonably locked down user account? Or in some way undoing changes on shut down? The main things I'd like to see wiped would be downloaded files, any desktop settings that are changed, and users private information, such as browser history, email logins and so on. (You'd be shocked by how many people leave their email signed in on publicly accessible computers.) Plus anything else I'm forgetting - I've used Linux for a few years, but as a home user, so I never really had to to overly concerned about user accounts other than my own and whatever I set my root password.

Anyway, would love to hear of any suggestions, tips or tricks in this area. Thanks in advance!
    Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • WildbillWildbill
    PMPosts: 17
    Just let them use the guest account and it will do exactly what you want.  As soon as the guest account is logged out it clears all files and puts it back to pristine condition.  Just make sure the administrative account has a good strong password.
  • MalbouryMalboury
    PMPosts: 4
    Are you kidding me? It's that easy? That is actually amazing, I'll post back about how it goes! Thanks so much!
  • Ditto on the amazement.  My jaw drops.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful citizens can change the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead
  • Yep, had to install 3rd party software on the windows machines to achieve the same result.

There is, however, one small hitch - I'd like to have a few desktop icons for when a guest logs in, but would need to customize a guest account to do so. Does anyone have any idea how I can change what the default guest account looks like? There's a post on the Ubuntu 12.04 forums describing how to do this - would the steps be roughly similar? I don't trust my customers to find the dock, basically :-P Unless I label the browser shortcut 'Internet' for example, some people will actually get lost...
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Just add another account through user and groups and give them desktop only permission.