Introducing LXLE 14.04.4 'Posh' Release Candidate
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Why wait? Ideas once set for 16.04 arrive early.

While working on changes to the user interface, components and software that were to be included with the upcoming 16.04 release, it became clear that updating 14.04 to match 16.04 was inevitable as 12.04 has been. So instead of backtracking, the distribution tippy toed to the edge with the latest LXDE core to bring the features necessary to implement the new LXLE user interface the 'Posh Paradigm'.

Building on the ideas of many desktops of the past and present 'Paradigms' while taking advantage of new and existing features of the latest LXDE desktop most users should find themselves to be in a comfortable, familiar, highly productive environment. While trying not to take away features the goal was to streamline running services, remove buggy features while providing LXLE with it's own distinct user interface. (lots of luv for gnome2) ;)

Modifications / Changes
    FireFTP cache bug resolved
    Fehlstart updated & styled
    Better light-locker settings
    Slimmed Games Section
    Only 1 desktop paradigm
    Conky dropped/replaced

SeaMonkey Implementation
    More polished user interface
    Optimized video streaming
    Full featured email options
    Dynamic new tab & home
    Enforced lean browser options
    Ad, tracking & cookie protection
    Mail & News enhanced features
    Prudent addons & userstyles

Chatzilla Implementation
    User Interface enhanced
    Channel Tree Navigation
    Inline Youtube support
    Inline images support
    Spoiler tags support
    Subreddit link share

For the future LXLE 16.04 version clamav will most likely be dropped as it is a heavy contributor to iso file size. Many have liked the inclusion of a virus scanner by default so it's still up for debate.

12.04.5 has also been updated to match as closely as possible 14.04.4, I'm not sure if its really a 'release candidate' version as there are no plans for another point update to the precise series from Ubuntu/Canonical.

The release candidate status is due to an expected update of SeaMonkey, after this update, if any changes to SeaMonkey need to occur in reference to its theme or plugins, those changes will be applied along with any other bug fixes discovered and then released.

All versions of the RC can be found here on SourceForge.

• binbin
    PMPosts: 41
    Congrats on a great looking 14.04.04 and thanks for all the hard work.

Just to gild the Lilly, please would it be possible to have the logout/shutdown button on the taskbar for all paradigms? Any chance of getting the old XP paradigm back as well?

IMVHO Clamav is a nice-to-have and makes it easy to 'sell' LXLE to older XP/Vista folks with good working laptops that won't handle Win 7/8/10....as in - "Look - you even get antivirus built-in in case someone sends you a buggy email".....or whatever. How much of the 1.4gb would it drop? Unless folks are complaining would it make that much difference?

Thanks
  • lxlelxle
    This layout/paradigm is tried and true, gnome2 was and is a very famous/popular desktop environment and 'Posh' is just a variation of that user interface, they'll be fine.
  • Is there o will there be an upgrade path for existing installs of 14.04.3?
  • binbin
    PMPosts: 41
    I know it's on the list somewhere, but user /home/qwerty is still managing to make it into the installed system.  Most obvious problem is in gtk3.0 bookmarks where it crashes PCManFM when clicked in left pane. In all there are - I think - 13 instances where it needs to be altered.
  • lxlelxle
    all instances have been removed except the bookmarks in pcmanfm
  • All up n running and installed. Working well - Minor glitch on installer when not all radio buttons or tick boxes were visible
  • Awesome I will be putting this on my laptop soon. Thanks for your hard work!
  • lxlelxle
    np, i'm working on correcting the qwerty pcmanfm bug in the 64bit the bin pointed out before the official release. its easily corrected just by right clicking and removing the bookmarks.
  • lxlelxle
    fixed bookmarks bug, iso updated.
  • lxlelxle
    looks like a 'qwerty' in fireftp is also in the rc, i'll do a hard search shortly to get rid of all the 'testing' qwerty user paths.